Login RegisterFAQ
Old miltary sites close to Brisbane - Page 2
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
mpi wrote:A lot of WW2 stuff is heritage listed, which means is can't be developed on.
There's still a fair bit of bush remaining, so if this place is listed, it could narrow down the search tremendously! Assuming it is the correct location.
By
mpi wrote:I don't have time to look it up, but the Heritage Resister is probably worth a look Nuggs.

https://www.derm.qld.gov.au/chimsi/basicSearch.html
Thanks! Had a look on there. Nothing in Zillmere it seems, But plenty of other cool suff I never knew existed. Cheers.
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
Drove past this area from telegraph rd last week. Access is no problem.

Have a rough pinpoint now - Might check it out tomorrow.
By
Hmm it all makes sense, hope you strike gold :shock:
By
Did you do it, Nuggs? :D
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
Midget wrote:Did you do it, Nuggs? :D
No I haven't!
Have been past a couple of times, along the north of the site, but there is a lot of work going on. Sewerage I think.

The whole area is quite open and unsecured though.
Will try again on a Sunday next time I have the chance.
By
Bump. It's been quiet on here so have read some old threads. Did anyone have a look at Zillmere in the end?
Also, close enough to Brisbane are these ones, anyone else been here? Will be heading back a few times over the next 6 months, there are up to 10 interesting structures and some various foundations scattered around the place. Access is very easy (with the right vehicle), no one around at night if you're into silly night photography like I am.
Searchlight
Searching For Light by No+Pro, on Flickr

Bunker
Trickle by No+Pro, on Flickr

more shameless flickr plugs, sorry :D
Last edited by No+Pro on 10 Sep 2013, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By
i have more pics of all the structures during the day too, but not on Flickr. Took me long enough to work out how to post from Flickr, will leave it at that for now..
By
Wow great shots No+Pro. Did you have an assistant to do it? And what are you painting with to get the different coloured lights?
By
thanks dodg3r, was just myself and someone showing me how to use the settings on a borrowed dslr, I think I ended up doing most of the lighting etc, was my first real attempt so had a few ideas i wanted to try, involved a lot of running back and forth. The green/orange lights are a couple of 200 or 300mm round LED panels, I have a red one too..
Would like to go back and try to do some a bit better now i have my own camera, luckily we go camping nearby fairly often.. UEGA Brisbane Camping Trip??
By
Great shots!

Am nearby, and have 4WD but never seem to find the time.
Camping trip might be a good idea if there were enough interest :D
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
No+Pro wrote:thanks dodg3r, was just myself and someone showing me how to use the settings on a borrowed dslr, I think I ended up doing most of the lighting etc, was my first real attempt so had a few ideas i wanted to try, involved a lot of running back and forth. The green/orange lights are a couple of 200 or 300mm round LED panels, I have a red one too..
Would like to go back and try to do some a bit better now i have my own camera, luckily we go camping nearby fairly often.. UEGA Brisbane Camping Trip??
Nice shots. Any pointers on where you got the coloured LED panels? Been finding it hard trying to decide what LED lights I should go for.
Just a harmless explorer. No need to waste taxes checking me ;)
By
theedge wrote:
No+Pro wrote:thanks dodg3r, was just myself and someone showing me how to use the settings on a borrowed dslr, I think I ended up doing most of the lighting etc, was my first real attempt so had a few ideas i wanted to try, involved a lot of running back and forth. The green/orange lights are a couple of 200 or 300mm round LED panels, I have a red one too..
Nice shots. Any pointers on where you got the coloured LED panels? Been finding it hard trying to decide what LED lights I should go for.
the lights i have look suspiciously like traffic lights, and come in very similar sizes colours... can get them on ebay. they're good for lighting big areas but are bulky and run off heavy 12v batteries. We took a ute-load of gear on this shoot, including a ladder (only so many times i can climb up and down 2 storeys) The lights are not really any good for tight spaces, way too bright. I don't use them a lot these days, they're good for camping though.
By
Nuggs wrote:Great shots!

Am nearby, and have 4WD but never seem to find the time.
Camping trip might be a good idea if there were enough interest :D
it would work if you were into camping/fishing as well. You can pretty much walk between the forts in an hour or two... if you're there purely to explore there's not a whole lot else to see - might be a lot of awkward silence.. bring beer perhaps?
By
Plenty of drinks, talking crap, and looking at forts.
Sounds good.

And yes, I did get back to Zillmere a couple of times.
Still nothing.
Though despite all the work going on there, on reviewing the maps/overlays, a heavy patch of bush towards Gympie road could be the go. It is so thick though you could walk right over more subtle features. I'll get back again when work is quiet.
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
I've been sussing out that bunker site at Zillmere (well technically Fitzgibbon) and I found 1946 aerial photography of the area on the Brisbane council Planning & Development Online site at http://olr13.brisbane.qld.gov.au/website/MN_CP/

It looks to me like there is an above ground bunker there in the 1946 photo in the area it's supposed to be. If you zoom in on it and then switch to the 2009 aerial photography, it disappears. It would have been right where that flat dirt patch on the top of the hill now is (you can turn on topography too). The map also has a layer you can switch on to show sewer lines, and I think Nuggs was spot on cos there is a sewer main that runs straight through there.

It looks pretty similar to the ones just off Volz Rd in Toorbul that I visited earlier this year. This is a bit of info about them: http://www.ozatwar.com/raaf/210radar.htm If you want to check them out I'd recommend you park on the side of Volz Rd and walk to them rather than driving in unless you have a fourby.
By
mpi wrote:A lot of WW2 stuff is heritage listed, which means is can't be developed on.
Where did you read that? AFAIK only fortifications that have been converted to museums have any sort of protection. Bunkers there were sealed/filled etc have no protection at all.

No+Pro wrote:Bump. It's been quiet on here so have read some old threads. Did anyone have a look at Zillmere in the end?
Did you get to check out the 2 former (9.2 inch) gun emplacements?

I check out Fort Lytton when I was in brissy, pretty touristy but still very interesting. There is also a former fuel store beneath a school in Brissy, I'll try find it.
Blakjak of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
iamdave84 wrote:I've been sussing out that bunker site at Zillmere (well technically Fitzgibbon) and I found 1946 aerial photography of the area on the Brisbane council Planning & Development Online site at http://olr13.brisbane.qld.gov.au/website/MN_CP/

It looks to me like there is an above ground bunker there in the 1946 photo in the area it's supposed to be. If you zoom in on it and then switch to the 2009 aerial photography, it disappears. It would have been right where that flat dirt patch on the top of the hill now is (you can turn on topography too). The map also has a layer you can switch on to show sewer lines, and I think Nuggs was spot on cos there is a sewer main that runs straight through there.

It looks pretty similar to the ones just off Volz Rd in Toorbul that I visited earlier this year. This is a bit of info about them: http://www.ozatwar.com/raaf/210radar.htm If you want to check them out I'd recommend you park on the side of Volz Rd and walk to them rather than driving in unless you have a fourby.
Somehow missed the toorbul page, will have to check it out on the upcoming (hopefully) bribie trip. Come along on that one if you can
Last edited by No+Pro on 06 Jan 2014, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By
No+Pro wrote:Bump. It's been quiet on here so have read some old threads. Did anyone have a look at Zillmere in the end?
Did you get to check out the 2 former (9.2 inch) gun emplacements?

I check out Fort Lytton when I was in brissy, pretty touristy but still very interesting. There is also a former fuel store beneath a school in Brissy, I'll try find it.[/quote]

I live close to fort lytton, went to an open day afews ago, when they fired cannons etc, but havent managed to go baxk on a quiet day and take some proper pics. Someone I know went late at night and took some pics, his friend either won a big comp or got a runner up prize or something, and the curator found out and apart from being annoyed they were there when they werent meant to, really liked his pics. Reckoned he could probably arrange a night shoot but haven't managed to get the ball rolling

Which guns were you referring to above, 9.2 inches?
 Post a reply
Go