Login RegisterFAQ
Big "S1" Sewer
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
For those who are not aware of this one, a good article by the ATS here:
http://www.ats.org.au/index.php?option= ... 9&Itemid=4

This is the manhole access and gate valve in Bowen Hills.
The metallic shaft on the left is for (manual) valve control. The fitting to the right is for ventilation.
The ⌀2000mm shaft goes down to about 7m, at that point the shaft is flooded and the water is churning and looks angry, hence I cannot see the horizontal shaft (which should be 15m below ground level at this point, according to the article).
It has been raining a lot the last few days, so I'll have another look when the weather clears up.
By
Do you actually intend to explore this?
By
drains_ wrote:Do you actually intend to explore this?
At this stage I'm just trying to find out if exploration of the main shaft is actually possible.
If it can be done safely, I'd consider having a look in the upper reaches near the city.
We shall see.
By
Sanitary sewer exploration isn't a great idea, or advised and is usually still very risky when done by professionals using a machined ventilation system. They set up nets and the like to stop workers being carried away into the violently quick stream. You fall into the trunk, you die.

They're cool to look down into, but that's about it. The shaft would probably have an incredibly large gatic that you'd need to lift, sanitary sewer manholes 'seal' and need to be popped using better than average manhole opening tools, it'd be accessible if it's not bolted down and padlocked.
By
Thanks for the advice :D
I posess seal breakers and gatic lifters, so there are no problems in that regard.
As for safety, I am aware of the conditions present in such trunk mains. Exploration may never be possible, but you're right; sometimes it is fun just popping manholes and having a look!
By
Hey Nuggs, nice to know that pipe fascinates someone else too! :D

Great pic of the shaft! :) I have been wanting to take a peak in there.
So is s1 highest at the city end and fall away towards the location in your photo?
By
Crazytrain1978 wrote:Hey Nuggs, nice to know that pipe fascinates someone else too! :D

Great pic of the shaft! :) I have been wanting to take a peak in there.
So is s1 highest at the city end and fall away towards the location in your photo?
Thanks. Yes, the pipe starts in the city near the river, and falls all the way to Albion, and ends up at Eagle farm. The manholes are easy to spot - just look for tall breather pipes.
acually is nuggs
My Explores
 Post a reply
Go