Login RegisterFAQ
Dealing with squatters
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Obviously gonna run into a few squatters this weekend i know a few of them are messed up and will probably attack aha...anyone got some tips on dealing with them I'm thinking homemade pepper spray
By
Good question!
Non-violence, please.
Best to avoid confrontation - Don't go to squatter hot-spots.
If you are approached in anger, apologise and leave.
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
be calm explain you only want to look around take pictures
its only ilegal if you get caught
By
Wear some type of official uniform, the squatters leave before i do :P LOL Normally by running to
By
AHAHHAHA that's a good idea
By
A few months ago we did a weekender to the country for some exploring, pretty much every place we explored had people living in it in some form, including a hobo living under the platform of an abandoned railway station.

While climbing under to try and work out what the stech was, I hear "F%*k off mate." from the darkness.

In my travels I've found a few types of squatters; young ish people who just get really stoned / high all the time, and wouldn't care if you walked in, tap danced on there bodies & left. They generally seem like seeing you is the most amazing trippy thing ever, you say "Hi" and keep on exploring. There's the hard core homeless who, as a general rule of thumb, sad as it is seems, almost always have some form of mental impairment and have just been tossed out by society. These guys get pretty agro, understandably seeing as I'm sure homelessness is a fairly dog-eat-dog world. I've had a few run at me, but I'm fairly light on my feet and got out of there way.

But if they're a real squatter as apposed to the homeless, you won't know the house is abandoned, and in 12 years they'll own the property outright without paying a cent, while suckers like us pay off mortgages...

Adverse Possession for those interested.
By
KILL OR BE KILLED!
By
AAHAHAHAHHA SOLID ANSWER^
By
Odds are that you'll never have 'deal' with squatters in any of the run-of-the-mill locations you're likely to explore.

They're just people like you or I. No need to treat them any differently just because they're living in an alternative home.
Scarecrow of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
Yea true but I was just wondering about what happens if I ever run into an "unfriendly" squatter
By
In_out wrote:Yea true but I was just wondering about what happens if I ever run into an "unfriendly" squatter
I would suggest leaving. You never know what someone is capable of, or what they have in their possession.
Scarecrow of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
In_out wrote:Yea true but I was just wondering about what happens if I ever run into an "unfriendly" squatter
start masturbating no one will want to come near you. joking joking joking
its only ilegal if you get caught
By
AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA^
By
hando wrote:
start masturbating no one will want to come near you. joking joking joking
Best reply evar!

Seriously though, if somebody invaded your home, you would arc up to. Homelessness is not a joke, some people live in abandoned buildings because they have no other choice (I said some not all). And most squatters are into alternative lifestyles and they would have more than likely done a bit of urbex themselves in the past, or they might even know some urban explorers (I have friends who squat). Talking to them and explaining your situation is a far better option than running away or being confrontational and aggressive. Being civil almost always leads to you getting a guided tour and permission for future visits, even if it is in exchange for some grog or a cheeseburger from Maccas. :)
Blakjak of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
aha yea true I guess
By
Its going to be very rare to find anyone who is instantly violent (maybe an overtaxed junky), even someone who is mentally ill will usually just want to know who you are and why you're there. They know that if they cause trouble, they will attract attention to their home.

Just be friendly, open, and treat them the same as you would anyone else. Also, its amazing how quickly you can make friends with a pack of smokes.
You can't walk along a barbed wire fence with a foot in each paddock.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94677994@N03/
By
If I see someone while exploring a sketchy area I give a friendly hello. If I dont get a hello back, then I know im in trouble.
 Post a reply
Go