Login RegisterFAQ
Sydney Urbex space cadets - Page 2
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Spades wrote:
blakjak wrote:Nick said how I feel in a much better way. Don't think I have anything against you Spades, you're the type we need in the urbex game & in the 2-3 times we met we got on well. It's just I have seen this happen many times before & I know the outcome can't end good.

Mate you're absolutely right (about seeing it happen so many times and all), you are wayyyy more experienced and you probably even thought the way I did at one point, but you've seen this happen probably 100x over and I'm just being naive I guess.

As urban explorers we do have to protect our turf and our treasures, and graffers are sometimes are the ones that can just ruin that...
We (all of us) can also be detrimental to the explorability and access of sensitive locations by getting too complacent. Doing a location over and over again to show it off to others can draw unwanted attention, especially if a place gets accessed by the same way on a frequent basis.

Just think about this, especially on those occasions when you're low on ideas of something new to do, and instead go back to something tried and tested of a sensitive nature.
Spades wrote:...his tag was everywhere and he put his own locks on certain gates...
This isn't a very good idea at all. It may seem like the right thing to do by putting your own locks on, but it just shows the proper authority in control of the place that someone is tampering with security.

It's also a good way to piss off and annoy others. It's as if he's saying, 'This is my place, and you can't come in'. Not a good impression.
Scarecrow of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
I don't know how clear this photo is but as you can see

IMG_3129 by chrisyelroy, on Flickr

he has basically linked his padlock into two other padlocks wtf haha??! :P
Spades
By
That's been tried many times, but it's proven that they will just remove that lock when they discover it (unless they know who owns it).
If I turned up to my house & found a new lock on my front door I'm sure I'd ask some questions, so would you. :)

And isn't that a standard SRA boundary lock?
Blakjak of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
It looks like the brass-coloured lock on the left has been added.
By
If I recall correctly CityRail uses lever locks for their padlocks, or at least on their older stuff.

SRA Boundary lock could be for emergency access? Though I can't see there being bush fires down there...
By
Nick wrote:If I recall correctly CityRail uses lever locks for their padlocks, or at least on their older stuff.

SRA Boundary lock could be for emergency access? Though I can't see there being bush fires down there...
Could be a different emergency such as terrorist attack etc
Spades
By
Scarecrow wrote:It looks like the brass-coloured lock on the left has been added.
Yeah, but why would you add a lock where there's only a boundary lock there?
Surely it would have been much easier to get access to a boundary key than to cut the chain & fit another lock.
Or am I missing something here?
By
blakjak wrote:
Scarecrow wrote:It looks like the brass-coloured lock on the left has been added.
Yeah, but why would you add a lock where there's only a boundary lock there?
Surely it would have been much easier to get access to a boundary key than to cut the chain & fit another lock.
Or am I missing something here?
I'm not sure either. Maybe another trip down? :P
Spades
By
Nick wrote:If I recall correctly CityRail uses lever locks for their padlocks, or at least on their older stuff.

It's very rare to see one.
By
Scarecrow wrote:

I saw one a couple of weeks ago and decided to take a (bad) picture
http://i40.tinypic.com/30rwsom.jpg
By
f1ex wrote:
Scarecrow wrote:

Yeh, those are the ones. I bet you haven't seen a lot of those though.
By
Yep, that's the only one I've seen haha. Also not sure if I have to RSVP for tonight, I'll be there.
By
Yep you're picking me up. :)
By
f1ex wrote:
Scarecrow wrote:

They're the ones!

Still, not hard to make a key for a lever lock, all you need is a blank, a drill press, file and a shitton of patience...
By
f1ex wrote:Yep, that's the only one I've seen haha. Also not sure if I have to RSVP for tonight, I'll be there.
No need to RSVP, but if you're late I wouldn't know. If you're picking up Blakjak then I'd say you probably would be late.
By
Scarecrow wrote:
f1ex wrote:Yep, that's the only one I've seen haha. Also not sure if I have to RSVP for tonight, I'll be there.
No need to RSVP, but if you're late I wouldn't know. If you're picking up Blakjak then I'd say you probably would be late.

where was my invite </3 haha jks
Spades
By
Spades wrote:
Scarecrow wrote:

where was my invite </3 haha jks
It was just a C/C New Explorers Event. And the 18+ rule...
By
lol if THIS is an example of his 'art' I understand why graffers don't like him. :)
By
Scarecrow wrote: It was just a C/C New Explorers Event. And the 18+ rule...
yer how would that rule have affected me lol
Spades
By
Spades wrote:
Scarecrow wrote: It was just a C/C New Explorers Event. And the 18+ rule...
yer how would that rule have affected me lol
Don't take it personal bro, it's just that some people have strong reservations about exploring with people who haven't proven to be over 18yo.
The main reason being...at an expo, if an adult get's caught trespassing, or heaven forbid get's injured, the responsibility lays with them, not those with him. But if a minor (under 18yo) get's caught or injured, their parents/guardians must always be involved. And getting caught committing crimes is bad enough, but getting caught committing crimes in the company of a minor (who is not your child) is far worse, even if it's just simple trespass.

Let's face it, most of our families (parents, wives, gf's, etc) don't really know what we get up to when were out exploring, and when they do they usually don't agreee with what we do.
My parents for instance think I go caving with experienced guides and proper equipment etc when I go exploring (I can't tell them I go in drains they'd think I've lost the plot), but they still think I'm a lunatic. And I know that if I was under 18yo and got injured (or killed) while doing illegal things in the company of adults my parents would want to sue somebody's ass off no matter what I thought or said, wouldn't yours?
Either way, in the eyes of the law, they would have that right.

So please don't take this too harshly Spades, you're mature beyond your years, but that means nothing when sh1t hits the fan and the authorities get involved.
By
dougo wrote:
twisties wrote:Graffers are doing the same thing we're doing really - exploring out cities, the only difference is they like to leave their mark.
I hope you don't get offended by this Twisties, but that's like saying copper theives are doing the same thing we're doing.
Fair points Dougo, I do agree with what you're saying. I guess I'm a bit conflicted because I'd love to leave my mark wherever I explore (not that I ever have).

I get envious when I go around to a bunch of places and recognise peoples tags. I think to myself 'I bet if I had left my tag in all the places I had been people would recognise me too!'

I guess that's an immature thought, it shouldn't matter if people know that you've been there or not, you should be content knowing yourself that you'd been there.

I hope that made some sense!
 Post a reply
Go