Login RegisterFAQ
By
9 Reply with quote Permalink
Sup y'all

I've been pretty quiet on the posting front recently, so here's an update in three parts on how UEGA's been tracking into 2019.

Spam

So besides being quiet recently, the site as a whole has been running smoothly. The biggest problem has been those pesky spambots!

I went on a spam rampage and pruned a few hundred definite spam accounts. Although inactive, these accounts all had links to spammy websites in their homepage/signature/etc.

Also to be safe, close to 2000 inactive accounts (where there last sign in date was close to their registered date and 0 posts) were pruned.

In a further bid to prevent ads for good value nike shoes, the registration page now uses a glorious Q&A style system from the turn of the century.

The Google reCAPTCHA system we were using used to be amazing, but unfortunately the version phpBB uses (reCAPTCHA v2) is bad for decent spam targets such as UEGA.

So now new users just need to answer a simple question to register. The answer is drains, but don't tell anyone. We'll see how it goes...

Money

The site has been running almost entirely on donations for the last few years which has been amazing.

As always, donations are welcome here!

Regardless of donations, I'll make sure there's always enough to keep the site running, but if ever you want to add a few bucks (and even get a fancy gold username), please do donate!

For the record, hosting costs approximately $5USD a month and the domain name around $10USD a year. Donations go straight to the hosting company so you can be assured that funds aren't being used for evil :0

Other stuff

Not much else to report I think. On the tech side, we just upgraded to the most-recent version of phpBB to make sure the site is safe from hackers. Also a new version of the database software (MariaDB 10.3 for those who are into that sort of thing).

As for site usage, although activity has been quiet, the site itself is attracting around 1,500 unique users a month. This is about the same as last year, although down a bit from 2,000 users two years ago.

I think on a whole though forums aren't quite what they used to be with newfangled technologies such as Telegram and Instagram filling a lot of people's needs. Although there's nothing like a good old forum thread imo.

But yeah. I've been around. Making sure the site has been running smoothly, if not actively posting. So there's that.

Anyways, thems the updates. Thanks all for keeping this place somewhat active and alive!
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Is Titan dead?
Wander often. Wonder always.
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Can titans die? Nah he around.
By
Titan is made of steel and magic. Those two combined will always reveal never ending lifespan ;P
By
4 Reply with quote Permalink
Keep up the good work Aydun, don't let the forum die!
Stuff all this new tech everybody is on haha, Forums are just old school!

We all let bbses die, can't let it happen to forums heh
By
"So now new users just need to answer a simple question to register. The answer is drains, but don't tell anyone. We'll see how it goes..."

Umm I chose abandonment as I LOVE abandoned and old buildings.. does that affect my registration?

Thanks!
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
And thanks for adding me! 😀
 Post a reply
Go