Login RegisterFAQ
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
You might have notice that the site looks a tad different.

We've updated the styling to something that's hopefully a bit more intuitive and less wasteful of screen-space. The biggest change (to navigation) is probably the drawer on the side. Practically everything that was on that old navigation bar and 'Links' menu is now all in the one place, and on Desktop at least, not hidden away under a small menu.

Also, the site now uses Ajax! The main benefit is that navigating between pages should be faster and smoother. Instead of rendering the whole page when you click a link, only the bits that change are updated.
This required some pretty major changes, and it's possibleprobable I've missed something in testing, so do let me know if anything seems broken.

The new Style uses Polymer. Polymer uses the new HTML5 web components, which Chrome and Opera natively support. The other browsers are still catching up, so could be a tad slower or look slightly different until they get native support!

Anyway, any feedback or suggestions, let me know!

Thanks to those who helped test.
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
Love it!

By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
blakjak wrote:I'd feel sorry for the poor dog.

And this new UEGA layout is freaking me out.
Im tripping major balls
its gonna take some getting used to ;( ;( ;( ;(
"No Urbex... No fun"
Syd Based
By
MacDaddy wrote:

Im tripping major balls
Just relax and go with it....
By
Aydun wrote:
MacDaddy wrote:

Im tripping major balls
Just relax and go with it....
Dont get me wrong i love it, although i did experience abit of bugging with my iphone though very slow to load and response was abit how ya goin
I do like the Blue :D but i think im being bias cause i love blue lol
"No Urbex... No fun"
Syd Based
By
MacDaddy wrote:Dont get me wrong i love it, although i did experience abit of bugging with my iphone though very slow to load and response was abit how ya goin
I do like the Blue :D but i think im being bias cause i love blue lol
Haha there's a bit of blue lol..
First page load may be a bit slower on mobile browsers that aren't Chrome, but this loading time is a one off thing each time you first open the site. Clicking links should be faster.
I don't have an iPhone so can't really comment, but I tested it on an iPhone emulator and it seemed pretty smooth. As long as it's up to date and not too old..

You can also open it in Safari and click the 'add to homescreen' button or whatever it is, and then launch it as an 'app' and that could speed it up if it's being slow.

But yeah, performance will only improve as Web Browsers add proper support for these technologies.

(ps I'll move these few posts here soon viewtopic.php?p=32638#p32638)
By
4 Reply with quote Permalink
Aydun wrote: Also, the site now uses Ajax! The main benefit is that navigating between pages should be faster and smoother. Instead of rendering the whole page when you click a link, only the bits that change are updated..
This is what I'm picturing...
Site looks awesome!
By
Looks great, but my phone doesn't like it. Even with Chrome I'm having few issues with pages loading correctly.
Just as evolution intended, I was designed by DFEX..

IG: @social_dfex
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dfexone/
By
--
Last edited by Vicinity on 05 Nov 2015, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IG: zero.given
By
CafeCSK wrote:Loving the new look, only thing I don't like is on the new posts you can't see what sub forum threads are in
In the New Posts bit on the left?

Love that it fits my whole screen well.
By
DFEX wrote:Looks great, but my phone doesn't like it. Even with Chrome I'm having few issues with pages loading correctly.
Possibly it's cache. Although any cached files should have updated automatically.. Anyway, try refreshing your browser and see if that fixes it. Mobile and browser up do date? Otherwise let me know exactly what's wrong and I'll look into it!
By
CafeCSK wrote:Loving the new look, only thing I don't like is on the new posts you can't see what sub forum threads are in
I didn't change that! (With this update at least). On mobile all that detail has been hidden for ages.
It could be useful to have though..
By
Aydun wrote:
DFEX wrote:Looks great, but my phone doesn't like it. Even with Chrome I'm having few issues with pages loading correctly.
Possibly it's cache. Although any cached files should have updated automatically.. Anyway, try refreshing your browser and see if that fixes it. Mobile and browser up do date? Otherwise let me know exactly what's wrong and I'll look into it!
Have cleared cache when initially experienced problems. Also browser is upto date, refreshing the browser doesn't really help either. Most of the time everything loads then the whole page changes to the background colour with no text or headers or anything. If it does load its just sloooow.. :(

By
DFEX wrote:
Aydun wrote:
Have cleared cache when initially experienced problems. Also browser is upto date, refreshing the browser doesn't really help either. Most of the time everything loads then the whole page changes to the background colour with no text or headers or anything. If it does load its just sloooow.. :(
Is it the same with an incognito window?
By
Crispex: 4 notifications gee whiz hold out for Mr Popularity :)
By
Looks great thanks Aydun!
By
--
Last edited by Vicinity on 05 Nov 2015, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IG: zero.given
By
Crispex wrote:
Aydun wrote:
Maybe my phone is just scared of change :lol: seems fine now :)

By
I know this isn't the right thread, but I can see a few problems with the new layout...

1. It loads slower all the time on every browser, not just the first time you come here, and Chrome doesn't help.

2. The side menu bar sucks major dogs balls, it's way too wide, the text takes up precious space, the whole thing takes away screen space, and you can't adjust the width of it. Piss it off please, or at least give the users the choice to move and/or resize it.

3. And the notifications have been combined into that bell, it was better the way it was before where PMs and other alerts were separate.

Why was it changed?"
Are you responsible for this Aydun?
Blakjak of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
4 Reply with quote Permalink
blakjak wrote:I know this isn't the right thread, but I can see a few problems with the new layout...

1. It loads slower all the time on every browser, not just the first time you come here, and Chrome doesn't help.
To clarify: For some browsers, it may be slightly slower for the first page load on seperate visits (or refresh).

By slower, it's not really much slower.
On my phone it takes a few seconds. That's on par with Gmail, Facebook or any other web app.
On my desktop in Chrome it takes just under one second (972ms). Pretty good IMO. In Internet Explorer it takes about 2.5 seconds. I don't have Firefox on this computer but expect it to be about the same as IE.
Obviously this will vary per computer. Speeds in other browsers will improve over time.

Don't forget only the first page load is slower (sometimes). Clicking links once you're on UEGA will be at least the same, but potentially a lot faster. Depending on server load, network, etc..

blakjak wrote: 2. The side menu bar sucks major dogs balls, it's way too wide, the text takes up precious space, the whole thing takes away screen space, and you can't adjust the width of it. Piss it off please, or at least give the users the choice to move and/or resize it.
You don't say what device you're using! On desktop, it takes up the previously wasted space. On mobile it's hidden. So i'm assuming tablet or laptop. The current implementation doesn't allow resizing on a per-user basis. But I will cut down on the padding next to the content (on smaller devices) and look into menu width. Or maybe the screen size at which it closes.
blakjak wrote: 3. And the notifications have been combined into that bell, it was better the way it was before where PMs and other alerts were separate.
The bell shows all your notifications, as it always has. The old tacky envelope icon has moved to the side menu with everything else.

blakjak wrote: Why was it changed?"
Are you responsible for this Aydun?
It's called progress. At least we're not running a 10yo website with table layout!

Primary benefits are:
  • Easier to navigate: Links are all grouped together and displayed on the screen in desktop, hidden away within easy access on mobile.
  • Better maintainability: Web components abstract the styling into separate parts.
  • Faster navigation: Once the page is loaded, your browser doesn't have to redraw the entire page every time you click a link.

Obviously it's not working perfectly for everyone yet, but thanks to feedback I should be able to address problems people are seeing.
After all, If I don't know about it, I can't fix it!
By
Love the new update, looks great!.. Love the new side bar :mrgreen:
By
I think you've done a great job Aydun. The style and format are dead sexy. Especially the tri-colour loading circle, very clever.

I mostly browse these forum's on my iphone 5, ios 8.4, Safari. The only issues are; scrolling up and down while in the side menu that pops out. Seams to be a bit of input lag and requires a few movements to move from top to bottom.
Plus when I zoom in to see detail in a picture, I can't zoom out.

Other than that, fantastic work mate.
:)
By
This scroll bar is bugging me a little...
By
dndkAU wrote:I think you've done a great job Aydun. The style and format are dead sexy. Especially the tri-colour loading circle, very clever.

I mostly browse these forum's on my iphone 5, ios 8.4, Safari. The only issues are; scrolling up and down while in the side menu that pops out. Seams to be a bit of input lag and requires a few movements to move from top to bottom.
Plus when I zoom in to see detail in a picture, I can't zoom out.

Other than that, fantastic work mate.
:)
Thanking you :)
I only have access to an iPhone emulator on my mac at work, but I snuck in some quick testing.
You're definitely right about the scrolling in the menu! I have an idea on how to fix that though..
Although I can't test zooming with just a mouse unfortunately.

If you want, you can click the share icon in Safari, and "add to homescreen".
This basically adds a bookmark to your homescreen (stating the obvious), but when you open the site with that icon, it opens like an app, with much of Safaris UI and gestures disabled. This makes the menu perform a lot better!
It's an option for now at least if you don't mind having a link on your home screen.. But I will work on fixing it for Safari mobile.
By
Crispex wrote:This scroll bar is bugging me a little...
The ugliness of it, or that it goes under the header? :P

The ugliness I can fix easily, and will regardless..
The 'under the header thing' is a bug with the Polymer component:
https://github.com/PolymerElements/pape ... /issues/28

But I plan swap the "paper-scroll-header-panel" out for something else since the scrolling header stuff isn't needed there.
 Post a reply
Go