Login RegisterFAQ
Site updates - Page 2
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Aydun wrote:
Crispex wrote:This scroll bar is bugging me a little...
The ugliness of it, or that it goes under the header? :P
Just the fact there was a scrollbar to begin with :P

I also use uega as a 'home' pinned app on my Android... *nudge*
By
Crispex wrote:I also use uega as a 'home' pinned app on my Android... *nudge*
I added that months ago!! I'm pretty sure Chrome 39 was still in beta at the time.

I'm not sure what to do with the scrollbar yet. It really should have one for accessibility, but we'll see.
I'm basing things like this on current web apps. Google Music for example has a scrollbar.
I will probably just change the styling eventually, so it's not so obtrusive.
dndkAU wrote: The only issues are; scrolling up and down while in the side menu that pops out. Seams to be a bit of input lag and requires a few movements to move from top to bottom.
Fixed the apple scrolling thing just now!
See how it goes...

Also made improvements that should theoretically speed up navigation between pages..
By
I see you did add it, should have checked :P - Not working for me though :(

The rating box seems to be fixed offscreen for me.
http://i.imgur.com/6ExIuI0.png
By
Crispex wrote:The rating box seems to be fixed offscreen for me.
http://i.imgur.com/6ExIuI0.png
I wondered who would be the first to notice that, heheh.

Crispex wrote:I see you did add it, should have checked :P - Not working for me though :(
Lol yep. I'm on new features like ants on a rash..
I think you need KitKat or lollipop or something to see it when your running the site from home screen though. And probably stock UI.
By
Every time I log in, there are new improvements. :D Except it seems to respond a little slower...
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
I feel you're doing it on purpose now...
By
Crispex wrote:I feel you're doing it on purpose now...
Ermergerdd. Shitdev/10

IE?
By
Aydun wrote:
Crispex wrote:I feel you're doing it on purpose now...
Ermergerdd. Shitdev/10

IE?
Google Chrome 43.0.2357.134 (Official Build) m (32-bit)
Revision 8f3081cb09276898e725262e5ca6ec7746757188-refs/branch-heads/2357@{#499}
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
dndkAU wrote: The only issues are; scrolling up and down while in the side menu that pops out. Seams to be a bit of input lag and requires a few movements to move from top to bottom.
Aydun wrote:Fixed the apple scrolling thing just now!
See how it goes...

Also made improvements that should theoretically speed up navigation between pages..
Mate, your all over it :)
Runs like a dream now.
By
Aydun wrote:
blakjak wrote:I know this isn't the right thread, but I can see a few problems with the new layout...

1. It loads slower all the time on every browser, not just the first time you come here, and Chrome doesn't help.
To clarify: For some browsers, it may be slightly slower for the first page load on seperate visits (or refresh).

By slower, it's not really much slower.
On my phone it takes a few seconds. That's on par with Gmail, Facebook or any other web app.
On my desktop in Chrome it takes just under one second (972ms). Pretty good IMO. In Internet Explorer it takes about 2.5 seconds. I don't have Firefox on this computer but expect it to be about the same as IE.
Obviously this will vary per computer. Speeds in other browsers will improve over time.

Don't forget only the first page load is slower (sometimes). Clicking links once you're on UEGA will be at least the same, but potentially a lot faster. Depending on server load, network, etc..

blakjak wrote: 2. The side menu bar sucks major dogs balls, it's way too wide, the text takes up precious space, the whole thing takes away screen space, and you can't adjust the width of it. Piss it off please, or at least give the users the choice to move and/or resize it.
You don't say what device you're using! On desktop, it takes up the previously wasted space. On mobile it's hidden. So i'm assuming tablet or laptop. The current implementation doesn't allow resizing on a per-user basis. But I will cut down on the padding next to the content (on smaller devices) and look into menu width. Or maybe the screen size at which it closes.
blakjak wrote: 3. And the notifications have been combined into that bell, it was better the way it was before where PMs and other alerts were separate.
The bell shows all your notifications, as it always has. The old tacky envelope icon has moved to the side menu with everything else.

blakjak wrote: Why was it changed?"
Are you responsible for this Aydun?
It's called progress. At least we're not running a 10yo website with table layout!

Primary benefits are:
  • Easier to navigate: Links are all grouped together and displayed on the screen in desktop, hidden away within easy access on mobile.
  • Better maintainability: Web components abstract the styling into separate parts.
  • Faster navigation: Once the page is loaded, your browser doesn't have to redraw the entire page every time you click a link.

Obviously it's not working perfectly for everyone yet, but thanks to feedback I should be able to address problems people are seeing.
After all, If I don't know about it, I can't fix it!
SOrry, I use a desktop, you've been over to my joint enough times which made me think that you already knew that.
Mobile devices are a sideshow, websites should always be prioritised for desktops and laptops, not mobile fones and tablets which apps can me made for.

And it didn't sound like you are gonna "fix" it, your post above was dismissive and avoided the issue. I hope you do "fix" it, because this new layout is rubbish.
At least give the users (ie: us) the option to change it (for example, look at that lousy menu a left, look at how much space is between the icons and the text, and the text and the dividing bar, it's clunky and inefficient - this is 2015 not 1999). Please don't do a Facebook and just ram this crap down our throats.
And you say the old "envelope" was replaced with the side menu, but it's the side bar that is the main problem, get rid of it, or let the users do it themselves if they wish (it's not hard).
Anybody who plays games or uses a computer for work knows that you NEVER put things on the side, peripheral vision and all that. Menus at the top ar far easier to use and view.

Who came up with the idea of a menu on the side? Whoever it was should go learn web-design101, fuuk I'm an amateur and I even know that.

BTW, who requested this new lauyout? There was nothing wrong with how this site was before, but now there is plenty wrong. Were people complaining about the old site? I can't remember seeing any bitching about the old layout.

/end rant
Blakjak of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
Just got "Page fetch Error - 0" and pinwheel still on the screen even while posting this. Anyone got a time machine so I can go back to the old site?
Just as evolution intended, I was designed by DFEX..

IG: @social_dfex
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dfexone/
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
By
blakjak wrote:SOrry, I use a desktop, you've been over to my joint enough times which made me think that you already knew that.
Sorry, I was too interested in your bird.
blakjak wrote:Mobile devices are a sideshow, websites should always be prioritised for desktops and laptops, not mobile fones and tablets which apps can me made for.
Just because you use a desktop (and I do) doesn't mean the majority of our users do. More than half our site visits are by a mobile device.
Anyway, the site works best on Desktops and Mobiles. On my desktop at home and work, all the previously wasted space by those oh so edgy building silhouettes is now replaced by wider content and the menu. (content width was limited to 1024px or something on the old layout)
blakjak wrote:And it didn't sound like you are gonna "fix" it, your post above was dismissive and avoided the issue. I hope you do "fix" it, because this new layout is rubbish.
If by fix it, you mean revert to the old layout, then no.
blakjak wrote: At least give the users (ie: us) the option to change it (for example, look at that lousy menu a left, look at how much space is between the icons and the text, and the text and the dividing bar, it's clunky and inefficient - this is 2015 not 1999). Please don't do a Facebook and just ram this crap down our throats.
So instead of padding around menu item, you want everything crammed together? Screen space is aplenty these days. People on desktops are running 20+ inch LCD monitors, not 15" CRTs.
Besides, this is 2015 not 1999, so I am following modern design guidelines:
material design.
blakjak wrote: And you say the old "envelope" was replaced with the side menu, but it's the side bar that is the main problem, get rid of it, or let the users do it themselves if they wish (it's not hard).
Anybody who plays games or uses a computer for work knows that you NEVER put things on the side, peripheral vision and all that. Menus at the top ar far easier to use and view.
Who came up with the idea of a menu on the side? Whoever it was should go learn web-design101, fuuk I'm an amateur and I even know that.
Here are four very reputable websites that seem to think it's a good idea:
Also, open up the file explorer on your computer. See where the favourites/recents menu is located.
blakjak wrote: BTW, who requested this new lauyout? There was nothing wrong with how this site was before, but now there is plenty wrong. Were people complaining about the old site? I can't remember seeing any bitching about the old layout.
That's a very passive and obliging attitude if you think you only need to do things if someone requests it.
No one requested the internet. There was nothing wrong before the internet, now there is plenty wrong (tongue-in-cheek).

If you want to see bitching about the old layout, which is apparently so much better than this one, go look for the thread I announced it in. It went similarly to this thread.
But bitching is good! (although I prefer feedback/critique). It helps improve the layout.
By
I've noticed the Breadcrumb doesn't really function properly anymore due to the Forums link being on the left instead at the start of the breadcrumb... but that's just my annoyance I think.
It does have a URL assigned to the element but it no worky. :(
By
Crispex wrote:I've noticed the Breadcrumb doesn't really function properly anymore due to the Forums link being on the left instead at the start of the breadcrumb... but that's just my annoyance I think.
So you mean the first item in the breadcrumbs ("Forums") isn't working for you?
If so, what happens when you click, etc. Just nothing? Can you right click and open?
It's meant to be identical to how it's always been.
By
Aydun wrote:
Crispex wrote:I've noticed the Breadcrumb doesn't really function properly anymore due to the Forums link being on the left instead at the start of the breadcrumb... but that's just my annoyance I think.
So you mean the first item in the breadcrumbs ("Forums") isn't working for you?
If so, what happens when you click, etc. Just nothing? Can you right click and open?
It's meant to be identical to how it's always been.
Ahh nevermind I just figured it out - my adblock of the logo went a little too far and got rid of the Forums link.
By
does "delete all board cookies" = "logout"??

I like logging out from everything - life is filled with too many nosy people..
By
Legacy wrote:does "delete all board cookies" = "logout"??

I like logging out from everything - life is filled with too many nosy people..
Click your avatar top right...
By
ahh... kk...
Got it..

under the new revision the avatar doesnt show right if you havent selected a pic..
i get a ".style" showing where the image should be..

short for ./styles/muega/theme/images/no_avatar.gif

missing graphic maybe?

still clickable, but i had assumed it wasnt.. doesnt lay out right when expanded though..
By
the ./styles/muega/theme/images/no_avatar.gif
maybe this ^^^^ should be "mega"?
By
Legacy wrote:under the new revision the avatar doesnt show right if you havent selected a pic..
i get a ".style" showing where the image should be..
Thanks for pointing out - fixed. The no-avatar url wasn't in an img tag for some reason -.-

(muega=material-uega btw)
By
all good... was just guessing cos i didnt have time to start poking and prodding stuff..

looks better now... ive a little white circle there..

thankyou!
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
Jumped on and was like duuuuude it didn't look like this before, does look better though
quis est qui nesciat historiam?
By
Just a note that any old posts with Uega links beginning with "http://" get connection timeout.

If it starts timing out when you click the link, just add "https://" at the start.

I found some but don't have the links. If I find it again then I'll update this post
Just a harmless explorer. No need to waste taxes checking me ;)
By
theedge wrote:Just a note that any old posts with Uega links beginning with "http://" get connection timeout.

If it starts timing out when you click the link, just add "https://" at the start.

I found some but don't have the links. If I find it again then I'll update this post
That's not a bug, that's a feature!

It actually is a security feature though. Your browser is preventing insecure content being loaded via ajax.
 Post a reply
Go