Login RegisterFAQ
 Post a reply
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
I have come across a range of flashlights while I have met people, and they can be very different.
I personally use a led lenser p7 as it is waterproof and has adjustable focal length. this given me reliability in most situations.
A personal favourite was seeing madmaw's korean/chinese maglite about 2ft long, saying it was for defence? I dont know if it would ever have to come to that. There have also been some older halogen ones like Hatboy's, which actually was pretty decent except it was a trek to carry around.

Thoughts?
By
Led lenser p7 is going to be my next purchase actually. I'm assuming yours is fairly new, therefore about 600 lumens? I've currently got an inova t3 rechargeable. Its 4 years old now, has been for a swim many times, driven over by a car, and barely a scratch to show. Battery life hasn't tapered off at all. Highly recommended. My only gripe with it is it isn't focusable, and although very bright, it doesn't really 'throw' much more than 100m.
Maglites used to be the business but far as I'm concerned they're only good for beating people or maybe a wheel chock these days.
By
I remember seeing a 2000 lumen torch for $100 somewhere, I think it was Jaycar? I'm tempted to get it when I have the dough. f1ex had a massive torch when I saw him last. Fun stuff.
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
I have an LED lenser MT7, so pretty much the P7. It goes well, but I would probably get one with a rechargeable base in the future.
The P7/MT7 are around the 200-220 lumen mark, unless there's a new version I haven't seen? They're great quality unlike some 9000 lm eBay torches which wouldn't make a fraction of that :P

Perfect: http://www.ledlenser.com.au/products/hi ... ries/m7rx/ <3
By
Midget wrote:I remember seeing a 2000 lumen torch for $100 somewhere, I think it was Jaycar? I'm tempted to get it when I have the dough. f1ex had a massive torch when I saw him last. Fun stuff.
haha still have it, and that little piece of s*** too.
By
By
Dynamite wrote:Aydun, here's the one I was referring to. Got my wires crossed, it's not the p7 as I thought. I stand well corrected :)

https://www.ledtorchshop.com.au/product ... chargeable

And still cheaper than the Inova! I want.
Similar enough name :P That is seriously an epic torch though. Perfect in so many ways..
By
Pffft 1000 lumens hahaha.

*waves his 4200 lumen Trustfire torch* :p
By
Titan wrote:Pffft 1000 lumens hahaha.

*waves his 4200 lumen Trustfire torch* :p
It's not the number of lumens that matter, it's how you use them! :lol:
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
Y'all crazy! $40 got me a torch that works well enough. I'd rather put those hundreds of dollars into my camera!
~ Windsor

My Photography: http://obscurepieces.com/
By
You can never have too many lumens... MOAR!
By
Funny you say that. im actually looking at a 6200 lumen torch atm :)

A good torch is a must especialy for taking photos in tunnels etc. and theyre nit that expensive if you shop around.
By
Titan wrote:Funny you say that. im actually looking at a 6200 lumen torch atm :)

A good torch is a must especialy for taking photos in tunnels etc. and theyre nit that expensive if you shop around.
Whoah, and I thought that 2k lumen torch was hardcore. What are you doing? Hunting vampires and various undead? :shock:

How much is it? I want one. :lol: :lol:
By
Its around 90 - 120 area. buuut worth every penny in my eye :)
By
Titan wrote:Its around 90 - 120 area. buuut worth every penny in my eye :)
Oh really, where from? Does is take crazy ass batteries?
~ Windsor

My Photography: http://obscurepieces.com/
By
Titan wrote:Its around 90 - 120 area. buuut worth every penny in my eye :)
But are they real (ANSI) lumens? Many ebay torches will state 'max lumens' which is usually complete bogus. I.e, biased measurement techniques or lumens the LEDs could theoretically provide (maybe for a second before bursting into flames).
Kind of like how cheap amps mention a ridiculously huge max power, but have no mention of RMS power :P
Not to mention the type of battery they'd require to get anything close to those values.

This is what you'd realistically pay for a 5000 lumen torch:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007V7R5DK

In saying that they'd still be ridiculously bright :D , just nowhere near their stated value :P
By
Nothing says 'Boss Torch' like a remote battery pack 8-)
By
Dynamite wrote:Nothing says 'Boss Torch' like a remote battery pack 8-)
Get a backpack that's a battery. Even more boss.
By
Hmm a deep cycle tractor battery and the searchlight off a tugboat should oughtta do it lol
By
Dynamite wrote:Hmm a deep cycle tractor battery and the searchlight off a tugboat should oughtta do it lol
You'd have to bring sunnies with you into drains :P
By
XTactical Pro.
Not sure about lumens etc. 3 x AAA batteries. About 12 hours full brightness.
The three LEDs underneath offer a dimmer, more spread white which I use often - Perfect for reading plans at night.
The main beam is not incredibly bright, but good for a lightweight unit, and bright enough for anything I need it for.
Also has a bright red LED, good for saving your night vision, or spotting nocturnal wildlife, I guess.

acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
Sexy torch. I really need a headlamp :(
By
By
Not sure on exact rating or output but it puts car headlights to shame lol. If anyone is interested we can do a group buy as more you buy the cheaper they get. i usually buy around 3 units at a timefor myself and family members. These come with rechargable batteries and chargers etc.
By
aydun wrote:
Dynamite wrote:Hmm a deep cycle tractor battery and the searchlight off a tugboat should oughtta do it lol
You'd have to bring sunnies with you into drains :P
And maybe a fan so the light doesn't overheat.
 Post a reply
Go