Login RegisterFAQ
Recording Music In a Drain
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
Hey guys,

Haven't been on for a good year and I'm back :D.

Me and a couple mates want to experiment with our music and record in a drain to take advantage of all the cool organic sounds the tunnel makes.

Does anybody (Big Ears) have any advice or tips for how to record music in a drain as from last time i checked there aren't any power outlets in drains. :P

Thanks Heaps!!
I don't like draining during the night
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Bring a generator maybe?
Exploration is an addiction.
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Awesome comeback post :mrgreen: Big Ears I am not, though if he's lurking I'd be really interested in how he's negotiated that obstacle himself. I have a similar desire to record in abandoned places, basically 'what happens if I play a bunch of different instruments in different positions in a large abandoned space (hall/warehouse,) and try to recreate the stereo image as though the listener were hearing a band of Tøns playing black metal live in a factory?' :twisted:

Personally I'd be wary of running a gennie in an enclosed space :P A generator isn't exactly a stealth item either; it'd be pretty bloody hard to hide one and record without fear unless you picked your spot very carefully.

What kind of music are we talking here? What kinda microphones? How many channels?

If you're super keen or flush with cash, a couple of car batteries through an inverter/charge controller setup (also solar panels to charge 'em?) could well work if you want to run a mixer or laptop setup with a powered audio interface. I have no first hand experience with that method admittedly so I have no idea how much recording time you'd get out of just a couple of batteries.

If you have a laptop with decent battery life there are many 2-channel in/out audio interfaces available on the cheap. You could plug in a couple of fancy mics and record straight to your computer for editing later.

Last but not least, if you just want a half-decent to decent stereo recording, definitely look into handheld field recorders. I went halves on a Roland Edirol recorder with a friend about 7 years ago, it was second hand, has been through hell and back and still works, sounds INCREDIBLE once we learned how to get a good signal into it and the mics are decent and quiet enough that you can record individual takes and layer them later to great effect.
By
window wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 7:06 pm
Awesome comeback post :mrgreen: Big Ears I am not, though if he's lurking I'd be really interested in how he's negotiated that obstacle himself. I have a similar desire to record in abandoned places, basically 'what happens if I play a bunch of different instruments in different positions in a large abandoned space (hall/warehouse,) and try to recreate the stereo image as though the listener were hearing a band of Tøns playing black metal live in a factory?' :twisted:

Personally I'd be wary of running a gennie in an enclosed space :P A generator isn't exactly a stealth item either; it'd be pretty bloody hard to hide one and record without fear unless you picked your spot very carefully.

What kind of music are we talking here? What kinda microphones? How many channels?

If you're super keen or flush with cash, a couple of car batteries through an inverter/charge controller setup (also solar panels to charge 'em?) could well work if you want to run a mixer or laptop setup with a powered audio interface. I have no first hand experience with that method admittedly so I have no idea how much recording time you'd get out of just a couple of batteries.

If you have a laptop with decent battery life there are many 2-channel in/out audio interfaces available on the cheap. You could plug in a couple of fancy mics and record straight to your computer for editing later.

Last but not least, if you just want a half-decent to decent stereo recording, definitely look into handheld field recorders. I went halves on a Roland Edirol recorder with a friend about 7 years ago, it was second hand, has been through hell and back and still works, sounds INCREDIBLE once we learned how to get a good signal into it and the mics are decent and quiet enough that you can record individual takes and layer them later to great effect.
Cheers massive help, Ill probably be using one of those hand held field recorders but maybe ill mess around and try the others cheers <3

Mainly focusing on prog rock. So I'd just have issues recording guitar bass etc. Because they would need an amp and the amp needs a power source
I don't like draining during the night
By
I doubt Big Ears is on here.

Most of his instruments didn't require electricity. For him it was all about finding the right spot.

Are you on Instagram? I could pass your username on to Big Ears and he may get back to you.

Cheers
By
Hmmmmmm

Howsabout one of those little battery powered amps? I found a list that might help: https://www.gearank.com/guides/battery- ... uitar-amps

That would actually be really cool, I hope you get the project off the ground! Please post back if you ever do give it a shot!
By
Yep!
In 2019 battery-powered guitar amps are going to be popular. It's easy to carry and some amps provide better sound for an electric and acoustic-electric guitar. Recently I checked https://www.guitaristview.com/best-batt ... uitar-amp/ blog for reviews on the amp. It's updated for 2020 love to read.
 Post a reply
Go