Login RegisterFAQ
opinion on graffiti?
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
What are your opinions on graffiti? I know people who are really against it but I think a lot of places would lack character without them.
By
7 Reply with quote Permalink
I don't mind graffiti in drains (as long as it's not on redbrick/features/old tags) but graffiti in topsides is usually the death knell for most locations.

I'm one of those people that think that a location's got the most character when it's pristine. It still has most of the atmosphere of when it was operating.

As soon as the writers/copper scabs/trashers move in, a location soon turns into a homogenous mess of paint and tatters. All the unique aspects of a location are usually lost and one topside becomes pretty much the same as the next.

I've seen rather nice locations leaked to writers and the whole place goes from being intact to a wrecked shell in a matter of months. There are dozens of those wrecked shells already, I'm not sure why people find them so enticing (once you've seen one totally trashed building you've pretty much seen them all in my experience).
Iso of the Cave Clan
By
iso wrote:
02 May 2017, 2:20 pm
I don't mind graffiti in drains (as long as it's not on redbrick/features/old tags) but graffiti in topsides is usually the death knell for most locations.

I'm one of those people that think that a location's got the most character when it's pristine. It still has most of the atmosphere of when it was operating.

As soon as the writers/copper scabs/trashers move in, a location soon turns into a homogenous mess of paint and tatters. All the unique aspects of a location are usually lost and one topside becomes pretty much the same as the next.

I've seen rather nice locations leaked to writers and the whole place goes from being intact to a wrecked shell in a matter of months. There are dozens of those wrecked shells already, I'm not sure why people find them so enticing (once you've seen one totally trashed building you've pretty much seen them all in my experience).
Well said Iso, nothing like an untouched place
By
4 Reply with quote Permalink
I hate tagging, its for people scummy lads. Actual nice graffiti is good aslong as its not over someones advertising, signage etc, hate it when the little milk man whos trying to feed his family has someone climb the roof and cover his signage.

Graffiti on the side of train tracks actually gives you something to look at :)
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
I am not a fan of tagging but any form of art that may compliment the area is always welcomed :)
By
Totally agree here. Tags are very ugly and quite pointless but a good artwork strategically positioned in an abando looks great.
By
Agreed, espically in the case of rooftops anything with tags generally means the end of the spot for others to enjoy. Also gives the media the upper hand to slam urban exploration with the 'vandalism' tag. As mentioned above in drains etc is more acceptable but can not stand ppl who ruin good urban places with shitty toy tags
By
Tags are ugly and really do devalue an area. Skillfully displayed graffiti can bring character to an area but as others have said below ground is better.
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Agree - I love photographing street art, but I think tags are bad news, for everyone. They don't look amazing, and they tend to mean access to a place gets locked down hard(er).
Last edited by Marschick on 04 Mar 2018, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By
Ritchie wrote:
04 May 2017, 6:36 pm
I hate tagging, its for people scummy lads. Actual nice graffiti is good aslong as its not over someones advertising, signage etc, hate it when the little milk man whos trying to feed his family has someone climb the roof and cover his signage.

Graffiti on the side of train tracks actually gives you something to look at :)
Depends on the advertising for me, but yeah leave the little milk man's billboards alone he's gotta feed his family goddamn it!
By
lostplaces wrote:
15 Jun 2017, 3:50 pm
Totally agree here. Tags are very ugly and quite pointless but a good artwork strategically positioned in an abando looks great.
Tagging is the bare bone of graffiti, nice looking graffiti is the glossy exterior. none of that would be possible without tagging, in my opinion you accept it as a whole or don't accept it at all.
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
campbelln wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 4:51 pm
lostplaces wrote:
15 Jun 2017, 3:50 pm
Tagging is the bare bone of graffiti, nice looking graffiti is the glossy exterior. none of that would be possible without tagging, in my opinion you accept it as a whole or don't accept it at all.
But the point is that tagging looks s*** and good pieces dont.
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
I visited a place i had been scoping out for ages last weekend and it was so good to not see any tags and to see the damage to the building done naturally over time and not from people kicking in walls and breaking windows

Post a reply
Go