Login RegisterFAQ
Taking Kids on adventures
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Just wondering how many of you on here have kids and take them out with you? I have .......quite a few kids from 3 to 28 obviously the older ones aren't at home anymore. I take my teenage daughter with me but the little ones have been getting really disappointed if they realise we have been out when they are at their dads. So I took my 6 and 9 year old out last week while their younger brother was at daycare and they loved it. Obviously I picked a local spot that I knew was safe and we wouldn't run into any trouble from security. Was a fair hike up a road that has been blocked off but they grabbed a doin stick each and off we went. Anyway I just uploaded a few pics of the place we went to. There was so much more but uploading on here does my head in because it will only accept 1 image at a time for me anyway. Hope you all have a great long weekend, I'm off to find an abandoned house these kids gave me vague directions to. The kind that say go through that paddock and walk up the track.....where's the track kids? Oh there are two just find one, they both take you there....eh what else is there to do when you are kid free and all your friends who might come have taken off for the weekend :)
By
Most people won't do it - exploring with minors puts you at additional risk if you get caught because you're responsible for them, especially if they get injured or (god forbid) killed doing something stupid. Abandos are usually ok, drains should be fine, but rooftops and topsides are not a good idea.
IG: zero.given
By
I was having the same convo earlier today. My 12 year old daughter is a spitting image of myself at her age, very mature. Have been thinking about taking her along, same thing somthing easy and safe. But currently in two minds about it. Thinking while on school holidays, I might bite the bullet and take her
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
I wish my parents had taken me draining when I was a kid!
By
Vicinity wrote:
15 Apr 2017, 9:08 pm
Most people won't do it - exploring with minors puts you at additional risk if you get caught because you're responsible for them, especially if they get injured or (god forbid) killed doing something stupid. Abandos are usually ok, drains should be fine, but rooftops and topsides are not a good idea.
Yeah I worry about my 16 yr old daughter getting caught and fined for trespassing but in saying that I have only taken her to places I haven't heard of anyone getting fined. She was begging me to take her to one spot but I refused for that reason but mainly because she really annoyed me at one place because she was scared and the place she wanted to go to would have scared the hell out of her. I wont do drains ever at this point because they freak me out because of a bad experience in water as a kid. Rooftops I would do but not with kids, my youngest climbed onto the roof of our 2 level house before he was 2! All my boys are climbers, every park we go to other parents are always saying do you know your kids up there, aren't you worried......whispering about me lol. They know their boundaries and if I say high enough they know they have to stop.
By
jaym wrote:
16 Apr 2017, 12:39 am
I was having the same convo earlier today. My 12 year old daughter is a spitting image of myself at her age, very mature. Have been thinking about taking her along, same thing somthing easy and safe. But currently in two minds about it. Thinking while on school holidays, I might bite the bullet and take her
My daughter and one of friends went off on their own one day and visited an abandoned house. All the kids go there but I was totally pissed off with her because their are asbestos warning signs and she knows about asbestos. I'm not worried about her but the kid that took her there probably has no idea. I just worry that some idiot will take her somewhere and smash s*** up because they have no idea. That didn't happen but lets just say she wont be going without me again. At least she knows to keep her mouth shut about where we go even if she did break the rule and go without me.
By
I've had a few of my (much older) friends take their kids exploring and they've never had any problems. That said, the potential risks increase as previously mentioned.

The only time I ever went exploring with one of my parents (aside from trying to convince my dad to explore an ROC bunker in the UK not long ago) was when I was probably in early high school. We walked through an abandoned school site and briefly checked out a few of the classrooms.

I'd probably take my kids exploring (if their mum was okay with it) in a few low-risk locations, but who knows.
Iso of the Cave Clan
By
iso wrote:
17 Apr 2017, 12:23 pm
I've had a few of my (much older) friends take their kids exploring and they've never had any problems. That said, the potential risks increase as previously mentioned.

The only time I ever went exploring with one of my parents (aside from trying to convince my dad to explore an ROC bunker in the UK not long ago) was when I was probably in early high school. We walked through an abandoned school site and briefly checked out a few of the classrooms.

I'd probably take my kids exploring (if their mum was okay with it) in a few low-risk locations, but who knows.
I think I might slot into that much older friends type of person....
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Yeah I Take my teenage Daughter to most locations i visit. Education is the key (Safety first no one gets hurt) and Vandalism will not be tolerated!!
 Post a reply
Go