Login RegisterFAQ
Recreational Trespassing
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Has anyone had any dealings with the cops / security ? What was the outcome?
Apart from not getting caught, what defence did you use? Did you talk your way out of it?
Asking for a friend :-(
Please don't ask where this is or how to get in, its called urban exploration. if you are told the location and how to get in, its tourism not exploration" :D
By
5 Reply with quote Permalink
Does this count as your phone call?
By
5 Reply with quote Permalink
Somebody call my mum
Please don't ask where this is or how to get in, its called urban exploration. if you are told the location and how to get in, its tourism not exploration" :D
By
18 Reply with quote Permalink
Yes, I have, with some rather funny results.
First, police are people, like you and me. Like you and me they like to be treated with respect. They don't want to deal with angry, rude or obnoxious people. So be polite. Yes sir, yes 'mam. Like most people, they tend to react in kind.
Also, you're a reacreational trespasser / photographer not Ronnie Biggs about to do the great train robbery. If you're at some abando and the police turn up a "Good day, I'm just taking some photos before they knock it down" and acting all cheerful and relaxed will probably have the police put you in mind as a harmless eccentric rather than someone to worry about.

Most importantly, comply with all police directives politely and speedily. If the police say "Come over here, you can't go in there. (or similar)" Don't debate it. Don't say "I just want some more photos", say "Yeah, no worries, how can I help you?" or "Yes sir/mam, no problems." Trust me, this is not the time to sprout talk about your rights.

Be respectful, listen to what they have to say. Try downplay the incident by saying things like "I didn't think anyone would care if I just got a couple of photos of (the abando)." Or if coming out of a drain "Yeah, just having a little adventure." Or even "Yeah, I'm probably getting a little too old to be doing this sort of thing." Don't be rude and don't be a smartass.

Also, be honest. Don't lie. Don't say stupid things like "I wasn't in there." Police are not stupid, they'll catch on. But there is a big difference between saying "I'm just taking some photos / having an adventure" versus "Yeah I was exploring that. I do this on a regular basis." If you lie to the police you can be charged with perjury.

Now most officers will probably assess that you are not a vandal, a thief or a danger to the public. Feel free to point that out. You're just there for the adventure. Most police don't know what urban exploration is about, so yeah, refrain from mentioning it unless they bring it up. Don't go sprouting out what you have explored, because that's admitting to criminal activity, harmless and victimless crime yes, but crime never the less. Police have a legal responsibility to report and prosecute crime. If you don't tell them, they don't know, and they do not have to report and prosecute what they don't know. So yes, by all means discuss the incident they are speaking to you about, but don't start with "Oh yeah I've explored abandoned buildings since I was seven, must have explored over 700 by now." Trust me, police don't want to know, because then they don't have to deal with it. Don't go sticking your UE history in their face because then they might have to deal with it.

Police have powers of discretion. That means, they can decide how to deal with crime. If you're an ass, then yeah, get expected to be treated accordingly. If you're Jo Citizen taking some photos or having a bit of a scallywag adventure for the first time in your life, you might be told not to do it again and to move on.

If things do move to the next level, then you're a photographer. This is legitimate, we're photographers in this hobby. Or couch potatoes who look at UE photography. So, you're a photographer who was after a new edgy photo and kind of did something stupid and are really sorry and will never do it again.

If things go a level further and you've been caught more than once then yes, you're an Urban Explorer and yes you do this for a hobby but seriously it's harmless, you know the risks, you're professional about it and yes you approach them in a planned, respectful way so that you do not put your life or the lives of rescuers at risk. Again, emphasize the respect. "I compleatly respect the work of rescue workers, I make myself informed of dangers, I let someone responsible know where I am going and when I will be back and if plans change I keep them informed." (tell me you are doing this for real folks) Explain that yes you are trespassing, but have a credo of never doing any damage, only taking photos. You're not a vandal or a thief, you just want to take photos.

If needed:
Point out that yes, there have been some deaths in the hobby, but those have been alcohol related and you always explore responsibly.
Point out that more people die (in each sport) playing golf (heart attacks), parachuting, bungee jumping or rock climbing than in urban exploration, yet those hobbies are legal.

Lastly, I can't emphasize respect enough. Be respectful. Be compliant. Don't give an officer reason to move you from the 'harmless idiot' pile to 'annoying/dangerous nusience' pile.

Security are similar, but usually you can be a bit more honest and tell them you are exploring. I recall one night about 25 years ago about 2am after closing off a lane in a street to open a manhole a security guard asked me and some mates what we were up to. We explained we were exploring the Tank Stream, a historical Sydney drain. He was pretty interested and peered down the hole. He took my rego, explaining "just in case someone reports any issues around here tonight." I said "yeah, no worries, I understand. You're here to protect property and we do look pretty dodgy." I never head anything from it. Treat people with respect and be honest.

Edit:
Also, if you happen to encounter police and you're with a group, encourage your associates to be respectful. If they arc up, words to your mates like the following statements might help:
"Go easy mate, we haven't done anything wrong. They're just doing their job."
"Show some respect, it's their job to protect property. How'd you like it if someone spoke to you like that?"
"Give it a rest, you're not doing anyone any favours."

Even if your mates are still idiots, it shows the police you made an effort and you respect them. It could mean you getting off lighter than them.

General disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, just an old fart who's been around.
Last edited by Panic! on 28 Mar 2017, 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Oh! That's YOUR web site!" ... "Yep, that one." http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... windex.htm
And read the damn Newbies FAQ and guide to writing a first post! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4257&p=40693
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
This is a sensationally good reply mate..
By
Mate and myself were caught red handed while chilling on the end of a crane in Parramatta. The cops were super cool and actually super excited to see my GoPro footage. Still had to go to court tho. The judge was pretty confused on what to charge us with and after reading the arrest report, let us off with court costs, 12 month good behaviour bond and Section 10 no convict. We were very happy with that outcome to say the least..👌😅

-UrbexKitty86
-UrbexKitty
By
When security comes I start to walk slowly towards them, wait till they let their guard down and relax a bit, and then sprint out in the opposite direction. I've never had to deal with police because of urbex, but when I was younger we used to skateboard in schools on weekends, and the police would always come. They would just tell us to leave for a while to shut the neighbors up and then come back.
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
@Panic did you post that on another thread? I'm sure I've read that before today.....
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Ooops yes I have just looked at the date
By
Ive been yelled at, told to rack off and been eyeballed by land owners, oh and chased by 2 dogs on separate occasions.
Last edited by lostplaces on 21 Jun 2017, 6:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
By
All the UE I've done has been almost exclusively in non-English speaking countries, so I usually just pretend to be a dumb tourist who didn't know you couldn't just wander into that drain/abando/whatever. I was caught in what was purported to be an abandoned Soviet Tank Graveyard - actually now a working Ukrainian military base. Got out of it by playing dumb, being polite and pretending to only speak English. If I were caught in Aus I would apply the same basic principles (as Panic! has described astutely above).

http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2015/07 ... v-ukraine/

ImageDSC_0136 by Lara Pugh, on Flickr
 Post a reply
Go