Login RegisterFAQ
What do Newbies want to know about?
By
3 Reply with quote Permalink
Hey there newbies.

I'm thinking about putting together a FAQ, an addition to my old newbies guide.
Besides locations (which change over time), what do newbies want to know about regarding UE? I'm assuming "how to" guides?
"Oh! That's YOUR web site!" ... "Yep, that one." http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... windex.htm
And read the damn Newbies FAQ and guide to writing a first post! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4257&p=40693
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
(This is mainly drain stuff, but a few general UE things) Well when I first started I did a fair amount of research but if I didn't and was lazy I would want to know Safety things, like how to avoid flash floods, precautions to take when entering an abando/drain that might have some nasty gases, particle, etc. Some basic mandatory gear, some recommended torches. A general overview on the law side of things would be good. Perhaps the pros and cons of taking someone else with you. Those are just some things that came to my mind, good luck with your FAQ.
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Yo panic!

I was thinking about doing a "How to" write up a while ago.

The main thing that always came to mind was finding places (Drains in my context) using services such as google maps melb water website (The project section) maybe some of the culture of Urbex too (Iv never seen it done in a faq before).

anyways looking forward to reading it panic!
Should be fun (;

Jo_Mcflo wrote:
02 Feb 2017, 6:27 pm
Perhaps the pros and cons of taking someone else with you.
There's only pros to taking ppl with you.
???
I mean...
Unless u have a s*** partner...

Regards,
--Promethues
Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
I have come across a lot of things over the years that i would never have expected, and haven't known how to react. it would be hard to cover everything of course but stories from experienced explorers would be pretty good for newbys, covering things they might come across and how to overcome these things. Predators drain file is great, but is there one for abando's, or rooftops (if youre into that kind of thing).

Panic! i think you are on the right track, with lots of experience anything you write will be great especially on top of what you have already written. I'm happy to answer questions when i can, lets educate and inform so everyone can have a great time exploring and we don't end up on the 6 o'clock news.

peace,
sini
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
By
7 Reply with quote Permalink

Or perhaps

By
3 Reply with quote Permalink
I want an alphabetical list of every place you've ever been to with the exact location address, easiest way to gain access and all the safety and security details ;) That would be perfect but obviously that's not what I'm going to get. So safety stuff would be good. I have noticed asbestos where I have been but I felt it was safe enough. I guess a basic kit of stuff to have on hand would be good. Is there a particular mask you always have on hand, gloves (I prefer ninja gloves), first aid basics. I'm really not sure, I'm bad with that stuff I whipper snip the lawns in bare feet and drag my kids on adventures bare feet through bush tracks without thinking twice. I would like to get this right though since I might find myself in some spots that have little to no phone reception. I'm not a lover of drains so I don't particularly care about safety around that stuff but would definitely read it anyway. Hmmm am I commenting too much.....I'll just go and sit back in my newbie corner and let someone else take the mic :)
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
I'd chuck in a guide on proper photo editing and EXIF stripping. Since most people are taking photos on their phones these days, it's way too easy to accidentally give away the location of sites just by showing photos.
 Post a reply
Go