Login RegisterFAQ
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Had a run-in today with an annoying neighbour to a Sunshine Coast abandonment, the old "I'm gonna call the police on you" routine, I was just wondering if anyone has any interesting stories about people who are fed up with "us hooligans going around and trashing places" or the like?
By
It didn't happen to be the beach side mansion with the round windows was it?
By
haha, so you're familiar with this guy?
By
No, just the property - and based on the state of it I'd say the neighbours are fed up with people going in there so often trashing it. If you explain yourselfand what you're doing, people who spot you go into places can see eye to eye . I've had security who have caught me and understood why I'd want to take pictures of a beautiful building, but, I also usually go solo full of camera gear so its kind of obvious what I'm up to.

If you go with a group people just suspect you're going to pull a downsouth and trash the living f*** out of it.
By
Yeah, I do understand where the man was coming from, but alas, he would not listen to reason even though I had a camera hanging around my neck. Just one of those days and situations I suppose, I guess I've just been pretty lucky in not really coming across any security or anyone really over the years, sounds like you dealt with a pretty cool one though :)
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
What a bastard, pointing out that you/we are in the wrong!
By
I can see your point.
But some times if people are around it is actually worth introducing yourself before you go into the site and saying you're a photographer. But yeah, some people will just have a go at you anyway.

Years back (because I'm old) I was at OPEX 77 in Buffalo New York and there was a wonderful old church that we wanted to explore. When we got there there was a whole pile of people from the nursing home next door looking at us. So I walked over and said "Hi, we're not vandals, we're just a bunch of photographers, and we're here to photograph the church."
The Aussie accent went down well, as did the obvious number of cameras, and in we went down a grate into a basement in full view of these people and not a word of complaint was made. Some of the explorers even talked to the old folks about the history of the church, finding out it used to be a Polish church but due to "white flight" the church was abandoned as the Polish people moved out.

Hmm, maybe fake an accent and make like a tourist?
http://scotthaefner.com/photos/place/Buffalo/3070/
"Oh! That's YOUR web site!" ... "Yep, that one." http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... windex.htm
And read the damn Newbies FAQ and guide to writing a first post! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4257&p=40693
 Post a reply
Go