Login RegisterFAQ
dreadnought - Page 2
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Vicinity wrote:With that said that's still a possible entrance, just really dumb.
I like dumb things, do tell. Hardcore mission? :P
Wander often. Wonder always.
By
Echo wrote:
Vicinity wrote:With that said that's still a possible entrance, just really dumb.
I like dumb things, do tell. Hardcore mission? :P
There would be a hardcore mission for one entrance. Think about the design and purpose of the Dred. It is designed to hold peak flows of raw sewage and release it at a constant rate into a local waterway during heavy flows. The tunnel from the Dread into that local waterway seems to be very short, but it consists of several narrow crawl diameter pipes that are UNDER WATER. So even if you were scuba qualified you could not get you and your scuba gear through them. Added to this it would be dark, and no one had explored them before.
Personally I'd want to stick a waterproof video camera with a powerful light source on the end of a long light weigh pole (like plastic electrical conduit) and see was up there first. (I just realised that reads like the description of a colonoscopy) Even then, you don't know where that leads to in the Dread. It could be some place not possible to get through. So all this adds up to a good way to die.
I think that this would be clearly a case of the ends to not justify the means and it is best just to avoid it.
This ends http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... /index.htm does not justify getting yourself killed.
"Oh! That's YOUR web site!" ... "Yep, that one." http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... windex.htm
And read the damn Newbies FAQ and guide to writing a first post! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4257&p=40693
By
Oldfart wrote: This ends http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... /index.htm does not justify getting yourself killed.
Why does dread look so clean in those pictures. The only time I've ever experienced it, well it was empty of most waste, but you could feel the wet, slipperyness beneath your shoes as you walked around the place and hoped to god you didn't slip over. In those pictures it looks like someone pressure hosed the concrete down.
Wander often. Wonder always.
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Echo wrote:
Oldfart wrote: This ends http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... /index.htm does not justify getting yourself killed.
Why does dread look so clean in those pictures. The only time I've ever experienced it, well it was empty of most waste, but you could feel the wet, slipperyness beneath your shoes as you walked around the place and hoped to god you didn't slip over. In those pictures it looks like someone pressure hosed the concrete down.
Panic had class. Rumor is he hired monkeys form a circus / public servants / homeless people to clean out that place before he took the photos. :lol:
Or maybe when it was first discovered it had not been used much and was a lot cleaner than in your day? :D
Got any recent pictures of it to compare?
"Oh! That's YOUR web site!" ... "Yep, that one." http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... windex.htm
And read the damn Newbies FAQ and guide to writing a first post! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4257&p=40693
By
So many goth/metal heads dig the underground.
By
Crispex wrote:
23 Mar 2016, 8:55 am
But then you have another problem... are you really going to just jump in with the lid jacked up and not move it out of the way? What if it breaks way and your tomb seals shut?
(sorry for replying to an old post :D)
I go near dreadnought almost daily for certain reasons and the big plate on top seems like you could just pull it off the manhole covers (It will rotate, its not bolted down or anything, just very heavy and hard to move). If you had some really strong rope to support the pulling and a few guys, it seems very possible. Also the manholes may be sealed I havent checked, but if so there must be a way to bypass it. Cracking the seal, etc.

No idea about security there (I did read somewhere that there are security guards, I know that there are in the school opposite the sewer, they are there almost 24/7. I dont believe the ground where its based at has security guards). Im sure if you planned it enough you could get in there even with the alarms and cameras (Im not aware of any of this first hand btw). Just makes it more difficult. If I get anymore info which I plan to, I'll keep you guys updated.
By
Jo_Mcflo wrote:
06 Feb 2017, 7:43 pm
Crispex wrote:
23 Mar 2016, 8:55 am
But then you have another problem... are you really going to just jump in with the lid jacked up and not move it out of the way? What if it breaks way and your tomb seals shut?
(sorry for replying to an old post :D)
I go near dreadnought almost daily for certain reasons and the big plate on top seems like you could just pull it off the manhole covers (It will rotate, its not bolted down or anything, just very heavy and hard to move). If you had some really strong rope to support the pulling and a few guys, it seems very possible. Also the manholes may be sealed I havent checked, but if so there must be a way to bypass it. Cracking the seal, etc.

No idea about security there (I did read somewhere that there are security guards, I know that there are in the school opposite the sewer, they are there almost 24/7. I dont believe the ground where its based at has security guards). Im sure if you planned it enough you could get in there even with the alarms and cameras (Im not aware of any of this first hand btw). Just makes it more difficult. If I get anymore info which I plan to, I'll keep you guys updated.
You're correct - all you have to do is move the massive metal plate. It's very heavy though. You won't be able to turn on the lights/fans etc tho because the control room is 100% alarmed, and actually has a response if you set it off.
IG: zero.given
By
Oh that's pretty serious, I wonder why they take it as if it is a huge threat. Anyways, you could bring your own oxygen supply, if you REALLY wanna check the place out. oh and a few torches.
By
5 Reply with quote Permalink
The control room is alarmed. The adjacent pumping station has cameras and PIRs on it.

I'd recommend staying away from sewer infrastructure these days. MW and SEW's upgraded security measures on shafts all along the trunks and the overflow tanks. See here.

Last time we tried to get into it cops did rock up. Was an awkward rush out.

They'll crack it almost as bad as if you get into mains water infrastructure due to the possibility of serious messing stuff up if you accidentally shut a sluice gate or something. Then you're in really deep poo.
Iso of the Cave Clan
By
5 Reply with quote Permalink
Jo_Mcflo wrote:
06 Feb 2017, 9:28 pm
Oh that's pretty serious, I wonder why they take it as if it is a huge threat. Anyways, you could bring your own oxygen supply, if you REALLY wanna check the place out. oh and a few torches.
Huge threat as in if you retard the flow at peak velocity by leaning on a lever or something, the whole trunk will back up and all the ERS outlets (including dread) will discharge into the drains and creeks full bore. This is fine when you have a rainstorm and the sewage is diluted and removed by the flow. Not so good if it's concentrated sewage bubbling out.

The result? massive persistent spike in waterway contamination, EPA will fine the water authorities big bucks for letting it happen. The next result? Very unhappy people at the water board and they'll be looking through the CCTV footage from the night it happened...

Drains are pretty harmless and of minimal concern. Critical infrastructure like sewers and mains are on another level altogether, for both security AND safety reasons, best to stay out of them.
Iso of the Cave Clan
 Post a reply
Go