Login RegisterFAQ
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Bear in mind I'm new to this.
After checking out a factory and another mid-sized abando the last couple of days I'm curious, what's the go with lockpicking? Is it frowned upon? I'm mostly talking about padlocks and doors that are showing clear signs of not having been touched in a long time and which are the only thing preventing entrance to an otherwise inaccessible area.
For example, there was a steel door down a few steps in the factory which had two of those sliding latches with just a padlock on to stop it from moving, but it looked like nobody had ever even fiddled with it.
What do?
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
Fair enough question. You'll find most explorers turn a blind eye to picking - Provided that's all you're up to. Big difference between picking a lock, and taking a set of bolt cutters to it. Just remember that the cops will quite happily give you a court date if you're caught with picks in your possession, so only carry if you need 'em.
By
Picking is great as long as you aren't caught with them. It's also difficult. Pickpals is a great site for gettin picks, get a southord euro set.
IG: zero.given
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
People get the biggest egos over their picking skills.

My advice if you get into it; don't be a c***.
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Kto wrote:People get the biggest egos over their picking skills.

My advice if you get into it; don't be a c***.
I once picked a triple bi lock with a toothpick. It was amazing.
Wander often. Wonder always.
By
Ur c00l
By
Bi means two, genius.
By
5 Reply with quote Permalink
f1ex wrote:Bi means two, genius.
Considering my whole post was complete sarcasm what does it matter what any of it means? thanks
Wander often. Wonder always.
By
4 Reply with quote Permalink
Echo wrote:
Considering my whole post was complete sarcasm what does it matter what any of it means? thanks
By
Echo wrote:
and whats to say f1ex's post wasn't sarcastic?

trouble with you is, you sprout so much bullshit its hard to tell what's BS and what isn't
By
Oh hai f1ex. :P
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
Got it, I'll leave the bolt cutters at home then. 8-) muchas gracias all
By
nowherefast wrote:Got it, I'll leave the bolt cutters at home then. 8-) muchas gracias all
Wait, did you mean lock picking or lock chopping?

Chopping locks is generally frowned upon as it's a dead giveaway that someone has been accessing a property. You might go back again only to find the lock you chopped has been replaced with more extreme security measures. Like a swarm of angry dogs or something.

Lock picking is something burglars do when committing actual crimes. If you get caught with picks, there's a good chance you'll be treated like an actual criminal.
Last edited by maggot on 23 Mar 2016, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By
Picking is turning out to be very awesome, able to visit locations without damaging or taking anything, and leave no trace!

I visited two sites near each other, basicly right next to each other.. one had a $2 lock which for some reason i couldn't pick, then the other had two abus high security locks which i could pick, go figure :P Lol
By
sadly we never used to pick - we'd just

OXY THE f*** OUTA IT BRO!

nowadays i leave the picks to the kids
By
yeah, seen cave clan in sydney oxy quite a lot of places, then for some reason the security of al those oxyed places went up!
if only there was some lock picking kids around back then eh.
By
There is an older thread from 2012 (when UEGA was a little bit younger) about lock picking - a lot more people are much more open about picking advice, but, that was then and this is now.

You're better off youtubing and googleing these things :) It helps :mrgreen:
By
Kto wrote:There is an older thread from 2012 (when UEGA was a little bit younger) about lock picking - a lot more people are much more open about picking advice, but, that was then and this is now.
OP says he's new to exploring, therefore pretty likely to get caught. If he gets caught with picks on him, he'll get reamed.
By
maggot wrote:OP says he's new to exploring, therefore pretty likely to get caught. If he gets caught with picks on him, he'll get reamed.
And they'd be a fool to ignore that already suggested advice; if the kid wants to know lock picking tips he can google it.. but on the up side, if they do get reamed, at least that'd provide a new place to hide the picks if they do get caught :x
By
Kto wrote:There is an older thread from 2012 (when UEGA was a little bit younger) about lock picking - a lot more people are much more open about picking advice, but, that was then and this is now.
Lol, I think I may have started that one.
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
-1 Reply with quote Permalink
Kto wrote:
maggot wrote:OP says he's new to exploring, therefore pretty likely to get caught. If he gets caught with picks on him, he'll get reamed.
on the up side, if they do get reamed, at least that'd provide a new place to hide the picks if they do get caught :x
Unless the pigs decide to check there as well.
By
I have found that picks are more of a pain then anything. Used to have them in my bag but never used them so just decided to leave them at home. Less then a week later had a run in with some police, was hella lucky.

So I tend to avoid them at all costs. If I need to pick something I will come back with a pick tool that gets the job done quicker than a regular 5 dollar deal extreme set.
Kids need to stop lighting things on fire or I'm gonna get arrested.
By
GreyArea wrote:I have found that picks are more of a pain then anything. Used to have them in my bag but never used them so just decided to leave them at home. Less then a week later had a run in with some police, was hella lucky.

So I tend to avoid them at all costs. If I need to pick something I will come back with a pick tool that gets the job done quicker than a regular 5 dollar deal extreme set.
That's why you get proper picks not a 5 dollar set. If you aren't able to open a door that can be opened with a jiggler or similar pick tool you probably suck at picking
IG: zero.given
By
3 Reply with quote Permalink
Picking the sort of padlocks that (mostly) sit on the kind of gates, doors, lids and grates that I want to get through are usually low order and an easy task. A gratifying task too. Nothing sweeter than raking open a lock - have at you, establishment! I need not fear your barring of the way! - but as others have said, you do not want to get knobbed with a roll of picks in your thigh pocket. If you carry them, make sure they are the first thing that you ditch when it looks like bulls are about, and you ditch them good.

In other circumstance, sitting in your car somewhere, no problem. Got stopped years ago and the plethora of gear in the back of the Hilux prompted Mr Plod to request a walkthrough demonstration of my chattel. I did so and when getting to them shuffled the roll of picks to one side but no - this keeper of the peace was on point and wanted to look in it. Why do you need deeze fings for, he said, cocking an eyebrow. Oh them, I'm forever losing my keys! But with these little babies, I need never freeze and shiver on my doorstop again!. O, dats awroight den sir, said he with the squinty eyes and flat feet.

But you seriously would not want to get sprung, picks deep in a lock, by a member of the cunstabulary. Lest ye be boned.
By
Once, in a galaxy far far away known as Toronto I went to a lock picking class. Yes, such a class existed, just once.
So I understood the theory, and was handed a pick, a torsion wrench (made from a street-sweeper blade as all classic ones are) and a padlock. The first time it took me about 3 minutes, then 30 seconds and then when explaining how to do it to a fellow explorer (None other than Ninjalicious himself) I surprised both him and me by doing it in less than 4 seconds. That thing just popped open on the first rake. I was like "Well I didn't expect it to be that easy." Jeff just gave a evil stare but we both laughed.
But other than that I have not done lock picking since. My moral code and ethics says if it is locked, then I'm not supposed to be in it. I'll explore abandoned buildings, ones covered in trees and so on, but well if they're clearly someone's property, I find it is just wrong to go entering them. Its like my home or car, I wouldn't want someone in them, and I have enough respect to not enter other people's personal space.
"Oh! That's YOUR web site!" ... "Yep, that one." http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... windex.htm
And read the damn Newbies FAQ and guide to writing a first post! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4257&p=40693
 Post a reply
Go