Login RegisterFAQ
Lockpicking? - Page 2
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Oldfart wrote:Once, in a galaxy far far away known as Toronto I went to a lock picking class. Yes, such a class existed, just once.
So I understood the theory, and was handed a pick, a torsion wrench (made from a street-sweeper blade as all classic ones are) and a padlock. The first time it took me about 3 minutes, then 30 seconds and then when explaining how to do it to a fellow explorer (None other than Ninjalicious himself) I surprised both him and me by doing it in less than 4 seconds. That thing just popped open on the first rake. I was like "Well I didn't expect it to be that easy." Jeff just gave a evil stare but we both laughed.
But other than that I have not done lock picking since. My moral code and ethics says if it is locked, then I'm not supposed to be in it. I'll explore abandoned buildings, ones covered in trees and so on, but well if they're clearly someone's property, I find it is just wrong to go entering them. Its like my home or car, I wouldn't want someone in them, and I have enough respect to not enter other people's personal space.
What about locked public infrastructure? Theoretically that's your property (as much as it is everyone else's). You've probably paid for a percentage of it with your tax dollars.

Awesome story by the way.
By
maggot wrote:
Oldfart wrote:Once, in a galaxy far far away known as Toronto I went to a lock picking class. Yes, such a class existed, just once.
So I understood the theory, and was handed a pick, a torsion wrench (made from a street-sweeper blade as all classic ones are) and a padlock. The first time it took me about 3 minutes, then 30 seconds and then when explaining how to do it to a fellow explorer (None other than Ninjalicious himself) I surprised both him and me by doing it in less than 4 seconds. That thing just popped open on the first rake. I was like "Well I didn't expect it to be that easy." Jeff just gave a evil stare but we both laughed.
But other than that I have not done lock picking since. My moral code and ethics says if it is locked, then I'm not supposed to be in it. I'll explore abandoned buildings, ones covered in trees and so on, but well if they're clearly someone's property, I find it is just wrong to go entering them. Its like my home or car, I wouldn't want someone in them, and I have enough respect to not enter other people's personal space.
What about locked public infrastructure? Theoretically that's your property (as much as it is everyone else's). You've probably paid for a percentage of it with your tax dollars.

Awesome story by the way.
I guess I'm content to wait for an open day if one exists. Also, you'll be surprised what people will show you if you ask the right people politely and explain your interest. It also helps if you are a harmless old fart. It massivly helps if you are overseas and put on the Aussie accent and start with "Hey I'm a photographer and I was wondering if I could get a look at..."
"Oh! That's YOUR web site!" ... "Yep, that one." http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... windex.htm
And read the damn Newbies FAQ and guide to writing a first post! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4257&p=40693
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
been a while since i last posted anything, but I made my own set of picks from the wire handles of bulldog clips, they work pretty well, but have only been practicing on old padlocks i had laying around the house and some I found at work. Did manage to get the petty cash tin open, which my employer frowned upon. the set fits into a eclipse mint tin and I carry them around everywhere in my pocket.

All you need to make them is a set of pliers or vice grips, a hammer and something flat, solid and able to take a bashing to make the wire thin enough to slide in and out of a lock.
quis est qui nesciat historiam?
By
Will-043 wrote: to get the petty cash tin open, which my employer frowned upon.
Lol. Time for a better petty cash tin?
By
pick the lock, keep said lock, get key cut, return said lock...
never die wondering ;)
 Post a reply
Go