Login RegisterFAQ
How did you discover urban exploration?
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Couldn't really find a thread for this post so I've created a new topic (sorry if I missed it!)

So, I am quite curious as to how everyone else discovered or was introduced to urban exploration. Also did you have any total newbie moments on your first explore? I'll start off by sharing how I got into drains and my first explore...

So I heard a few friends constantly making jokes about "Swoo Drain" - supposedly one of them had taken a chick down there or something. Anyway, not understanding the joke, I asked one of my other mates who by chance told me that it was a pretty cool drain within walking distance of his house.

I became obsessed with trying to find information about "Swoo" and stumbled across an excellent few posts written by siologen about some of the "best Australian drains". Admittedly, this gave me a huge and probably unfair head start in drain exploring in terms of where to look in for particular drains. As a result I kept nagging my mate to take me to Swoo and I also became consumed with trying to find an entrance to the Milsons Park Drain, which I found after a few searches around the area.

So then one weekend we went for it and I did my first two drains, Swoo and Milsons Park, in one day. Milsons is still probably my favourite drain that I've done despite all the stoop and crawl (hardcore!), although I find Swoo more enjoyable to do on a casual basis.

I experienced my first real newbie moment in Swoo, where we got down near the end. We heard some other people up ahead and decided to leg it back up all 4 slides, not stopping til we were back out the entrance! Only then did we realise it was probably actually just the echo of our voices down the tunnel :lol: Still makes me laugh today.

Please share your own stories of how you discovered urban exploration.

Cheers,
sydnavigator
By
This explains it:
All that stuff I'd always wondered about, all the stuff I'd stared out the window of as my parents drove me around, wondering what was inside, turned out to be surprisingly easy and satisfying to see.

Here I am at 8 years old, exploring an abandoned railway themed restaurant, I've got a photo of me inside somewhere too:
I have tolerant parents.
By
I don't think i can say that i found UE as such.
Since a little kid i was always fascinated to abandoned structures/places.

It was only a few years back i stumbled by accident labeling term Urban Exploration.... and read on to see what it was all about. Quickly learning that its something that i have always been doing, and that there is a whole sub-culture doing the same thing.

I can go on for ages as to which aspects draw me towards abandos so much but aint no body got time for that :P
 Post a reply
Go