Login RegisterFAQ
Free Tim Tams, Angry Police and Pretty Girls
By
4 Reply with quote Permalink
Thought I'd throw this in here. Just a short write up on what Dupe, Pulse (UEGA name: Steamidge) and myself got up to on Saturday complimented with a very sparse array of photos.

We were supposed to meet at Hawthorn Station at 10am but thanks to Metro choosing this weekend to conduct railworks trains were not running between Camberwell and the City, so by the time we got everyone together it was closer to 11.

We headed down into Maze with solid plans to head to the Camberwell Junction Gutter box. Probably took us somewhere around an hour to walk there, accounting for a few rests and photo taking along the way. This was my third time there while the others hadn't been up that far before. I think anyone who has done the gutter box will know that the main novelty is yelling at people crossing at the traffic lights right there. The box is on one corner of a 6 way intersection and there is usually a fair amount of foot and car traffic around. It is actually 4 gutter boxes so plenty of room for all 3 of us to get a reasonable view out at the world. Now I've had a lot of fun at these gutter boxes before. Previously I've had some guy stop and pass us french fries through the gutter box and the looks on people faces when they figure out where you are is priceless. So we're calling out to people and what not and some teenage girls figure out that we're there and they start having a conversation with us. And then they gave us a packet of Tim Tams.... I mean what more could you want? Pretty girls, an awesome drain, and Tim Tams. My life is complete. So they moved off and we got a number of weird looks and some more friendly conversations from people over the next hour or so. There was this one guy stopped at the lights with his window down and he acted like it was the funniest thing he'd seen all day. He couldn't stop looking at us and absolutely losing it laughing so much. The lights turned green and he was just sitting there as the cars behind him were getting annoyed. I think we may have made his day. Eventually some grumpy old woman decided that, although we weren't affecting her day in any way, shape or form she had to call the police. So she tells us that we should leave as the police are coming, considering the Police station is about 500m from where we were it was one of the slowest response times I've seen in my life. But when they got there we quickly knew about it. It was a male and a female and the female was pissed. Like, I've spoken to police through this gutter box before and they are usually pretty chill. More interested in how you got in there and things than anything else. But this woman must've been having a bad day because she totally lost it at us. She actually refused to ID herself and we had to ask multiple times for that, then she threatened to shoot us. It was almost comical. Her partner hardly said 2 words throughout the whole exchange. There is actually asphalt over the top of this gutter box so we weren't particularly worried about getting caught but we eventually decided it was best to leave anyway. We'd had our fun.
1. Inside the Maze.
2. Probably one of the best drains in Melbourne.
3. Of course we had to sign our names and the date in the guestbook.
4. Pretty cool grill that looks out onto a quiet oval on the way to the gutter box.

So our next stop was The Great Staircase. Using replacement buses we eventually got there just in time to see a Cave Clan Newbies Expo getting under way. I had a quick chat to Chewy and Blacklodge, a bit disappointed Ath was running late because I would've liked to say hi but it was already one hell of a coincidence we were doing the exact same drain as them at almost the exact same time so we decided to get going. Hardly got any pics of it because my camera just couldn't handle the cavernous darkness.

1. This pic courtesy of @oliverhale_ on instagram starring me. I'm only photogenic from behind :)
2. And this one is mine. It really was a beautiful day for exploring.

So I didn't really have a time to be home but the other 2 had to be home around 6ish and I knew that wouldn't leave enough time for us to walk all the way through the drain so we decided to walk up to a manhole a bit past the stairs. A coincidence that it was the exact same manhole I'd used when I attended my newbies expo back in February.... Ahhh the memories. Saw the post from that night in the guestbook..... Just memories now. Good memories. Long story short we walked to the stairs, they got some photos and then Dupe exited via the manhole while we walked back and took some more shots of the stairs and then we both exited via the manhole.

Good day all up I'd say.

Also I'm getting a Nikon D3200 for Christmas!!! Excited haha. Finally I may be able to take some awesome pictures.
Last edited by Echo on 25 Oct 2015, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wander often. Wonder always.
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
LIES! The second to last photo is courtesy of ME! ahhaha
This was a fantastic day though. I reckoned I may have annoyed her just a little by telling her to calm down as well haha
By
steamidge wrote:LIES! The second to last photo is courtesy of ME! ahhaha
This was a fantastic day though. I reckoned I may have annoyed her just a little by telling her to calm down as well haha
wait..... i get you kids all mixed up. fixed.
By
Ahaha, you did it in the drains too, thanks
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Attracting police attention, nice one, very edgy.
By
longnecksmasher wrote:Attracting police attention, nice one, very edgy.
Love talking to the police when I know they can't get to me. 3rd time I've spoken to them through that gutter box. So edgy brah :)
By
5 Reply with quote Permalink
Echo wrote:
Love talking to the police when I know they can't get to me. 3rd time I've spoken to them through that gutter box. So edgy brah :)
Oh man, it's so much fun, especially when drain entrances get locked up.
That and the fact from now on, if that cop sees someone going in a drain, she'll associate it with that little s*** who gave her a hard time when he had 0 reason to other than just being an immature jerk.

Plus gotta love popping manholes from below in the day, and not giving a damn.

You're like a pin up boy for ruining it for the rest of us.
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
Nick wrote:
Echo wrote:
That and the fact from now on, if that cop sees someone going in a drain, she'll associate it with that little s*** who gave her a hard time when he had 0 reason to other than just being an immature jerk.

We didn't give her trouble lol. She came out acting really unprofessional and yelling at us and such. We left quietly shortly after. It's not like the manhole is in the middle of the road, it's on a quiet driveway. But ayy whatever you say Nick. Ya know I stopped taking most people's criticisms around here to heart a while ago.
Can we not pretend that CC dont do the same kinda stuff, atleast regarding the gutter box things. I've seen the video of them letting fireworks and things off from that gutter box during the day.
Found it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpl93OxY5BY
I especially enjoyed the part at 2:08 where the woman says "you want me to call the police?" and the fully mature CC guy says "yes, ok."
Just because they don't talk about it doesn't mean they don't do it. Anyway I'm not getting into this again. I think you can like me or hate me, it wont stop me doing what I enjoy. Maybe you think there's some sort of rule book to urbex, except there isn't. Just in your head and according to CC there is and everyone has to follow it except them. If I really wanted to mess things up for others I'm sure I could do it, if you want me to just let me know.
Cheers, Echo.
By
Nick wrote:
Echo wrote: Love talking to the police when I know they can't get to me. 3rd time I've spoken to them through that gutter box. So edgy brah :)

Echo wrote:We didn't give her trouble lol. She came out acting really unprofessional and yelling at us and such. We left quietly shortly after. It's not like the manhole is in the middle of the road, it's on a quiet driveway. But ayy whatever you say Nick. Ya know I stopped taking most people's criticisms around here to heart a while ago.
Why? Some of those criticisms may be valid. Learn from others' experiences and criticisms (especially experienced explorers like Nick) and you'll go a long way.
Echo wrote:Can we not pretend that CC dont do the same kinda stuff, atleast regarding the gutter box things. I've seen the video of them letting fireworks and things off from that gutter box during the day.
Found it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpl93OxY5BY
I especially enjoyed the part at 2:08 where the woman says "you want me to call the police?" and the fully mature CC guy says "yes, ok." Just because they don't talk about it doesn't mean they don't do it.
That video was filmed years ago. Your argument reminds me a bit of this article https://murdoch80.wordpress.com/2012/12 ... cave-clan/. Read Doug's comment. Just as the Cave Clan no longer puts massive tags up in drains, I doubt it'd engage in this kind of thing now. The public is becoming more paranoid and it's getting more difficult to engage in our hobby. Antagonising police and being laissez faire with exits just accelerates this process.
Echo wrote:Anyway I'm not getting into this again. I think you can like me or hate me, it wont stop me doing what I enjoy. Maybe you think there's some sort of rule book to urbex, except there isn't. Just in your head and according to CC there is and everyone has to follow it except them. If I really wanted to mess things up for others I'm sure I could do it, if you want me to just let me know.
There's no rule book to urbex. There's no rule book to life, either. There's just common sense and a sense of common decency, and the way you describe your outing demonstrates a disturbing lack of either.
By
I think I smile when you guys try to give me advice because it feels like you tell me the same thing over and over again and I'm just over here thinking, yep, yep, yep whatever you say :) Maybe that's why I love you guys, you still haven't given up haha.
By
Ahaha Echo :P They don't understand how fun it was haha
By
steamidge wrote:Ahaha Echo :P They don't understand how fun it was haha
It's not that they dont understand it's that they have a different sense of fun to us. What we see as fun they see as reckless, stupid etc etc. We'll probably see it as that as well one day. When we grow up and really think about it. At the moment, for me anyway, urbex is about rebelling against society and it's definition of normal and in that sense I must also rebel against the people who try and tell me that society actually give a f***. I know it's stupid and I know the logic is highly flawed but it's just how I see the world. For the moment anyway.
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
I get the appeal of trolling people from drains. I've heard multiple stories about people doing it and have even done it myself (ordering pizza to a park bench, only for the pizza to already be gone as the delivery guy turns around, with nobody in sight :D ). In saying that, messing with police is kind of a different story. It's very possible that it will eventually lead to the place being locked up (of course, it hasn't happened yet, but the likelihood increases with every incident) or some other s*** (too tired to think of other stuff). But whatever, each to their own, I think you've decided on your philosophy/approach and people hassling you about it isn't going to change s***. I for one couldn't care less... do your thing if it makes you happy, that's what this hobby is all about :shock:
"...we create alternative pathways, little fragments of possibility."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phytrix/
By
3 Reply with quote Permalink
How would you guys feel if access to that drain was completely cut off, because a bunch of normies called the cops and made a fuss about people being in there?

I get you're all riddled with puberty and you want to stick it to da man, but if you let that happen, you've let da man win.
By
Rantallion wrote:How would you guys feel if access to that drain was completely cut off, because a bunch of normies called the cops and made a fuss about people being in there?

I get you're all riddled with puberty and you want to stick it to da man, but if you let that happen, you've let da man win.
Let's be realistic though. They're never going to completely cut off access to all the good drains. Not in our lifetime anyway. I get your point though. I may be more careful in future, probably not. There'll probably be another one of these stupid stories a few months from now and you'll all be like; this mother fucker did it again, does he ever learn? Good times. Peace.
By
Echo wrote:
steamidge wrote:Ahaha Echo :P They don't understand how fun it was haha
It's not that they dont understand it's that they have a different sense of fun to us. What we see as fun they see as reckless, stupid etc etc. We'll probably see it as that as well one day. When we grow up and really think about it. At the moment, for me anyway, urbex is about rebelling against society and it's definition of normal and in that sense I must also rebel against the people who try and tell me that society actually give a f***. I know it's stupid and I know the logic is highly flawed but it's just how I see the world. For the moment anyway.
mabey you should find a forum with like minded people, as we seem to be on a different page :lol:
By
6 Reply with quote Permalink
By
Echo wrote: Let's be realistic though. They're never going to completely cut off access to all the good drains. Not in our lifetime anyway. I get your point though. I may be more careful in future, probably not. There'll probably be another one of these stupid stories a few months from now and you'll all be like; this mother fucker did it again, does he ever learn? Good times. Peace.
Oh, I'm not saying that all the good drains would be cut off simultaneously, because I don't think that's particularly realistic either.
I am however, being realistic in saying you could lose access to this drain because of this sort of behaviour.

Additionally, with the amount of s*** the media is spewing about terrorism to get people scared, it's going to become even more likely that some small minded, scared, mouthbreather sees someone doing that sort of thing and goes 'Oh s***, it's a jihad boy making bombs under the city!!', calls the police and it escalates hardcore.

Is taking the piss out of a shitty cop for five minutes of fun worth a drain that you obviously enjoy being made no longer accessible?
By
Fair points all around. I reckon UEGA needs a debate section on the forums. We could have some wonderful arguments about different points. I have a whole array of topics we could go with.
By
Nick wrote:
Echo wrote:

All these flavours and you chose to be salty...

I think Cave Clan's numerous appearances in the media have made police more aware of draining than two cops witnessing some lads under a road. Not that regular cops have any real say in drains being locked. They don't have the authority to just randomly lock things, do they? That's a different organisation. And usually police are angsty from the get-go. I've never met a cop that was level-headed and turned angry. They start off as one or the other and rarely change their demeanour.
By
Drains in Sydney are having CCTV and sensors installed, drains in Melbourne are being dammed or blocked off forever, because of dickhead behaviour.
By
longnecksmasher wrote:Drains in Sydney are having CCTV and sensors installed, drains in Melbourne are being dammed or blocked off forever, because of dickhead behaviour.
lel
By
longnecksmasher wrote:Drains in Sydney are having CCTV and sensors installed, drains in Melbourne are being dammed or blocked off forever, because of dickhead behaviour.
Pray tell which drains are been blocked off forever? The reason some Sydney drains are having CCTV installed is because they were used as access to certain sites by thieves, not urban explorers. You seem like a very angry individual. :)
By
By
3 Reply with quote Permalink
Echo wrote:
Pray tell which drains are been blocked off forever? The reason some Sydney drains are having CCTV installed is because they were used as access to certain sites by thieves, not urban explorers. You seem like a very angry individual. :)
It's difficult to block up drains completely (this would defeat their purpose) but impediments are put in place that make it more difficult. ANZAC, Tenth and even Chameleon have been dammed up and other drains (e.g. Glass Ck and soon Trinity's) have had GPTs and barriers installed). While this work wasn't explicitly to prevent entrance, frequent and conspicuous use does catalyse these things (Melbourne Water do take 'prevention of public ingress to infrastructure' into consideration) as it's two birds MW can kill with one stone.

Loads of manhole exits have been concreted or welded though, some old-school exits to Great Stairway, Dwellers, Maze and other such drains have been sealed due to careless exits (an experience I'm sure CC learned from over the years).

General guideline (I know you don't like the word 'rule') is try to be as inconspicuous as possible and don't piss off the locals.
 Post a reply
Go