Login RegisterFAQ
Parramatta Gaol / courthouse tunnel.
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
I was listening to Kyle and Jackie O on the radio this morning. They've been having a daily segment called "Secret Sydney."
This guy rang up and was saying that a coupole of years ago he was hired to weld up the door in the old Parramatta Prison that leads into the tunnel that goes all the way down to the courthouse. Quite a considerable distance.
Ive found a couple of mentions on the internet about the tunnel but nothing really concrete.
Any body heard anything about this. I'd like to have a go at finding it.
By
On a tour of Parra gaol we were shown the old gallows, the morgue, and a covered shaft that supposedly lead to a 'haunted' tunnel. It was 2m tall and 1m wide for taking psychotic prisoners to court out of view from the public. We couldn't look into it as it was covered over by a heavy metal plate, and I don't know how true it is, but it seems plausible.

More importantly, WTF were you doing listening to Kyle S and Jackie O?!? :)
Blakjak of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
peterh13 wrote:I was listening to Kyle and Jackie O on the radio this morning. They've been having a daily segment called "Secret Sydney."
This guy rang up and was saying that a coupole of years ago he was hired to weld up the door in the old Parramatta Prison that leads into the tunnel that goes all the way down to the courthouse. Quite a considerable distance.
Ive found a couple of mentions on the internet about the tunnel but nothing really concrete.
Any body heard anything about this. I'd like to have a go at finding it.
Seems Like it Could be true but then again how many rumours go round lol
Jesus black jack i literally was about to mention you in this post and you already replied
lol

#uegawhore
"No Urbex... No fun"
Syd Based
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Ive never really liked Kyle or Jackie O till I was stuck in a truck one day with a guy that listens to them. Their music is dreadful but they talk about some pretty interesting things.
Kyles not as bad as he's made out to be.
By
I saw on a TV special many years ago that it used to be illegal to transport anyone with a mental disorder on the public streets and that is why most lunatic asylums were built near water.
By
Seems plausible. More than one former asylum or hospital has tunnels, sadly they are all on private property and/or locked up.

As For Kyle, he's ok sometimes, like last week when he went ape on Barnaby, but mostly he's full of it. And yeah, their taste of music is atrocious.

Yay it's raining, I can get out of going to Earlwood to mow my aunties lawn. :)
Blakjak of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
peterh13 wrote:I saw on a TV special many years ago that it used to be illegal to transport anyone with a mental disorder on the public streets and that is why most lunatic asylums were built near water.
That could be true... or *creepy piano music starts playing* asylums were built near the water so failed human experiments could be easily disposed of.
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
Midget wrote:
peterh13 wrote:I saw on a TV special many years ago that it used to be illegal to transport anyone with a mental disorder on the public streets and that is why most lunatic asylums were built near water.
That could be true... or *creepy piano music starts playing* asylums were built near the water so failed human experiments could be easily disposed of.
Hey Midget, you should come over to my waterfront house later. I just want to chat. I swear.
"...we create alternative pathways, little fragments of possibility."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phytrix/
By
blakjak wrote:On a tour of Parra gaol we were shown the old gallows, the morgue, and a covered shaft that supposedly lead to a 'haunted' tunnel. It was 2m tall and 1m wide for taking psychotic prisoners to court out of view from the public. We couldn't look into it as it was covered over by a heavy metal plate, and I don't know how true it is, but it seems plausible.
Your tour guide needs a smack :P PCC never actually had a gallows! :P Prisoners were either executed in Castle Hill or transferred to Darlinghurst Gaol for execution.

However, I'm interested in this heavy metal plate and where it was. I have regular access to the Gaol and we're trying to track down the entrance to these rumored tunnels. There's nothing in the plans that are available from Correctional Services but there are quite a few sources that reference the tunnel from the Courthouse to the Gaol.
 Post a reply
Go