Login RegisterFAQ
Eli's Tomb Adelaide - location help
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Would anyone be able to give me the location of Eli's Tomb in Adelaide? Been searching for it for ages and really would like to complete it. Would be more than happy to go with someone or even a hint or suburb would be helpful. Thankyou :)
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
I doubt anyone will tell you mate, and for good reason. Nothing against you, but it's not something that should be shared around readily.
Jaffs on CC and Jaffs01 on Flickr
"urbex is not for tourists......its for adventurers" DeScent (RIP)
By
I'm finding out hahahaha why thought? risk of teens ruining it?
By
Basically.
By
I thought it was because of the death thing.
Thats kind of a big factor isnt it?
~Aleksander~
By
I guess it varies person to person.
By
Yep, not many places where the risk of dying would be as high. The ruining thing is secondary but still an issue. However likely or unlikely, Eli's is still a much greater risk than a normal storm water drain. Didn't say you wouldn't, couldn't or shouldn't do it, just said I doubt anyone will tell you. If they have then they're fucked really. You would be best going with people in the know.
By
Ya'll should contact SA water regarding tours.
Not sure if possible, but surely the safest way to do it :)
acually is nuggs
My Explores
By
Is the to do with drowning or caving in?
By
And is it something really worth seeing or are there other places around sa that are more breathtaking
By
Most definitely drowning. For some people it's their best "drain" ever. I did it two weekends ago for the first time and it was amazing - more so fighting through a fair bit of fear to actually do it. The tunnel itself is pretty cool and walking up to the sluice gates is just insanity in a way, but breathtaking all the same knowing the risks. Some people chose not to do it that day and I don't blame them. I almost stayed behind too. I've got a daughter and stuff to think about so doing it was probably fairly dumb and selfish. Then again, it's one of those times where you're actually taking your life in your own hands and making a life or death decision, so to speak. It's not often that we get to do that in our lives - usually death sneaks up on us or plucks us away without any say at all.
By
Oh, that's that 'drain'.. Touche, I don't think I'd be game.
By
Exactly. One of my urbex mates who's done heaps of mad s*** was packing it big time in the days before. I was one of the last to go in, thinking about it for a while, and he was there after me, smoking himself into oblivion. He did it in the end.
By
Yeah not liking the sound of drowning at all! Is there still as big of a risk in summer? Anyway I might have a look for some other places around sa to explore! There is a place called hart mill in port adelaide that I wanna see if we could get into but it is heritage listed so I guess it would be locked up tight
By
It's hard to say when it's riskiest. I've seen flow data which might indicate that at the end of summer it's less likely but the gates are automated and who knows what triggers them.

Do Cement Hill and the Cat Warehouse (if it's still open) - these would be good (and safe) to begin with.
By
Ohh so the gates just open and water rushes through? So it's not due to the weather outside but due to water stored
By
smithy1801 wrote:Ohh so the gates just open and water rushes through? So it's not due to the weather outside but due to water stored
Yes, that's right. Pretty dangerous.
By
There's another thread on Eli's Tomb with pictures and some information here:
http://www.uega.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... i%27s+tomb

A couple of posts taken from that thread:
Scarecrow wrote:Here's an old email that was sent to the Cave Clan a few years ago;

----- Original Message -----
To: adelaide@caveclan.org
Cc: info@caveclan.org ; M*****, Brian
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 10:37 AM
Subject: Eli's tomb - Adelaide South Australia

Hi,

Unless I'm badly mistaken one of your recent "discoveries" referred to on your website as "Eli's Tomb" is not a stormwater drain and is potentially very dangerous.

It's a water transfer tunnel used for transferring water from an on river weir to a reservoir. Sluice gates at the upstream end can be opened remotely at any time, flooding the entire tunnel. Anyone in the tunnel when the gates open would almost certainly be drowned. Transfers through the tunnel take place frequently throughout the year.

While I don't want to discourage your activities in genuine storm water drains (I've seen your safety messages) this one is far too dangerous and should not be visited or advertised.

Regards

Steve R***

Service Delivery Manager, Outer Metro Region

SA Water Corporation

Ph (08) 8399 ***

Mob. 0417 *** ***

Be green - read on the screen

*******South Australian Water Corporation disclaimer*******

"This e-mail and any attachments to it may be confidential and/or subject to legal professional privilege. If you are not the intended recipient you may not disclose or use the information contained in the message in any way. If received in error please delete all copies and contact the sender by return e-mail. No warranty is made that any attachments are free from viruses. It is the recipient's responsibility to establish its own protection against viruses and other damage."

**************************************************************************************
wildstar wrote:Eli's Tomb Flow Rate for the last 5 years:

CSV Data showing Feb/March 2013 flow rates in megalitres per day ["Date","Max","Mean","Min"]:

^^^As you can see, on the 11/02/2013 the sluice gates opened and flooded the tunnel with 382.2 megalitres.
By
Yeah not liking those risks at all! Might try to find cement hill :) less chance of dying and such :')
By
Yeah, 382000 tonnes of water in a day is a fair bit. That's 4.4 cubic metres/sec, which would fill the tunnel near the sluice gates in a matter of minutes I'd say. No way to outrun that.
By
Anybody up for some extreme surfing? Nah I think I'll give Eli's tomb a miss
By
Did you find out where it is in the end?
By
Nah I gave up in the end! Found cement hill and now I'm focusing on caterpillar :) it's gonna take me a while to find it though. The most info I have on it is that it's an old Bianco building
By
Ahh, but if you know where to look you can determine if it is safe or not. Sometimes the source is almost bone dry.
"Oh! That's YOUR web site!" ... "Yep, that one." http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... windex.htm
And read the damn Newbies FAQ and guide to writing a first post! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4257&p=40693
By
It sure sounds crazy. Something id do if i was still 18etc.. however with age i have gotten this burden of "responsibilities" with family who relies on me :P

So ill settle for some pics taken by others ;) ... speaking of which.. anyone has any ? (The 2013 thread pics are not working anymore :( )
 Post a reply
Go