Login RegisterFAQ
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
is the info below fact or just an urban myth passed on from site to site, It seems to be repeated all over the net.? if it's based wholey or partly on fact, then I know that a particular library has a box of aerial negatives of the area from 1939-1945.

An underground "bunker" and tunnel system is located on this site. It is directly under a block flats in D_________ Street and M_______ Crescent. The entrance to the "bunker" is by steel doors set in concrete into the hillside in a railway cutting which runs from alongside the railway line parallel to M_______ Crescent at a platform called the Railwelders and which leads under the block of flats. The doors to this "bunker" were welded up in the late 1980s. The steel doors are no longer visible, and the associated area has been back filled.

Apart from the bunker, there is also a network of storage facilities that extend under the railway workshop. Sometime between 1977 to 1978 the steel access doors were fitted with locks (Railway SL type). The airshafts for this "bunker" are still clearly seen from the Hume Highway and some of them are within meters of the roadway. It has also been alleged that a tunnel approximately four miles long connects this complex with Bankstown Bunker, (RAAF headquarters during World War II) on the corner of ______ and __________ Condell Park. Access to this network of storage facilities was from a steel door, bolted into the side of a stormwater drain which runs along the old RTA building in Chullora, it then runs under the Hume Hwy and eventually under the rail workshop.
By
I certainly hope its fact but it sounds like an old tale thats too good to be true.....
AXEL
By
Deeeefinatelly something that id be up for.

If you find any solid info please share it in the VIP house :)

This sounds like a full day exploration type mission.... ;)
By
I'm still searching for a little more solid info. Unfortunately the internet repeats the same blurb over and over, and I've only got one other actual factual statement from a worker in the 70's. He seems to be mixing up one of the basements (one has definately been demolished) with the 'bunker". His entry point is not the same as the 'steel doors' storey.

If all else fails a trip to a certain library to look at aerial photgraphs from WWII may help with research.

I'm not about to rush down to Chullora with the vain hope of finding something. I would also like to find photo's of the old air vents that used to be there. I vaguely remember driving past stuff many years ago, that fit that description, but at the time no-one took a blind bit of notice of WWII stuff like that, as UE as a 'hobby' didn't exist.
By
I have investigated this rumor repeatedly over the years. I don't think it is true. The vents on the Princes Highway are vents for some sort of gas installation from what I could tell. There is NO repeat, NO doors off the side of the drain that runs under the rail yard. There are NO gates leading into the hill side of the rail yards. Trioxide also explored that drain tunnel and found nothing. This one seems to be BS.
It is known as "Bullshit Bunkers" by myself and a few people. The location is at 33°53'0.82"S 151° 3'56.24"E. Which is nothing new because if you Google the text from the opening post you'll find the street address easy.

There are no doors of any kind in the rail yard. I got permission to do a walk through of part of the yard and have scoped it out from the golf course as well. There are only big round dish hatches to railway communications conduits which are just plastic pipes big enough for mice to explore.

Trust me I once got called out for BS for saying there was a bunker on a particular site, with people telling me there was "no" way there was a bunker there but I found the bugger, got in and photographed it then later toured it with people. So I know what it takes to chase down rumors and find stuff. I've found nothing in records, which does not mean much, as there wasn't much about that bunker I found, but site visits find nothing there. The gold standard would be a GPR survey of the site but that gear is expensive, even to hire and you need to know how to operate it.

It is time this one was put to rest.
"Oh! That's YOUR web site!" ... "Yep, that one." http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... windex.htm
And read the damn Newbies FAQ and guide to writing a first post! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4257&p=40693
By
By
binjuice wrote:Here is some more info
http://www.heritage.nsw.gov.au/07_subna ... id=4801108
Yeah, I've read that. The air raid shelters mentioned in that are above ground. 4 of them are still there. If a bomb had of dropped on them people inside would have still died. They would have been good for bullets, flack and would have protected people from near by blasts.

These shelters are easily visible on GE. I took a look at them in person around 2004. I had permission thanks to a gunzle mate.
"Oh! That's YOUR web site!" ... "Yep, that one." http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... windex.htm
And read the damn Newbies FAQ and guide to writing a first post! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4257&p=40693
By
Wow, I didn't realise other people were so passionate about the "myth".

I guess we all have to ask the question, why start a 'storey' or 'myth' then constantly have other [people continue it?

Its a fascinating subject, whether it is there or not.
By
Oh you should hear some of the myths I have chased up over the years. Cable tunnels from Sydney Central to the airport, with doors behind which guys with guns sat in an office. Tunnels that allowed a taxi driver to take a short cut under Sydney (not the Wynyard tunnels). Bunkers, bunkers and more bunkers. All sorts of rubbish. Some did pan out. Most not.
I think most are from people who want to tell a story and have had a few too many to drink. The Chullora tunnels mostly come from the Oz at War web site. ONE source, that have now spread to Wikipedia and other web sites. Most of it seems based on the old air raid shelters. The myth says the bunkers were near the welder's platform, that platform was right near the present day air raid shelters. At the south west corner of the rail yards, over 300 meters from the blocks of flats.

To be honest, I'd like to do an expo to this location one day so we can photograph the supposed bunker vents, the drain and other supposed indicators of this bunker.
By
I've noticed whoever runs the Ozatwar site, uses a lot of opinions as fact. He'll get a rubbishy third hand storey, then write it down in a way that the reader sees it as being 95% certain. I don't know why they want to intersperse their whole site with storeys with bugger all basis.
There's also supposed to be a 'secret' bunker out at Richmond, that 'hasn't been found' yet.
By
Enigma wrote:I've noticed whoever runs the Ozatwar site, uses a lot of opinions as fact. He'll get a rubbishy third hand storey, then write it down in a way that the reader sees it as being 95% certain. I don't know why they want to intersperse their whole site with storeys with bugger all basis.
There's also supposed to be a 'secret' bunker out at Richmond, that 'hasn't been found' yet.
Yeah, he does at that. But a lot of them panned out. Some stuff on his web site turned out to be true, some didn't. But yeah, old fella's tales most of them. Or I heard from a mate who heard from a mate that......

There are bunkers out at Richmond, but they were all below the level of the runway, and have been fully flooded for years. They're also just not that interesting. If you have done Middle Head and Chowder Bay bunkers then you won't be missing much.
By
"Tunnels that allowed a taxi driver to take a short cut under Sydney (not the Wynyard tunnels)."
Harbour tunnel glorified perhaps? haha
AXEL
By
Panic! wrote:
Enigma wrote:I've noticed whoever runs the Ozatwar site, uses a lot of opinions as fact. He'll get a rubbishy third hand storey, then write it down in a way that the reader sees it as being 95% certain. I don't know why they want to intersperse their whole site with storeys with bugger all basis.
Yeah, he does at that. But a lot of them panned out. Some stuff on his web site turned out to be true, some didn't. But yeah, old fella's tales most of them. Or I heard from a mate who heard from a mate that......

There are bunkers out at Richmond, but they were all below the level of the runway, and have been fully flooded for years. They're also just not that interesting. If you have done Middle Head and Chowder Bay bunkers then you won't be missing much.
You chose Panic! you should know beter than that?
By
binjuice wrote:
You chose Panic! you should know beter than that?
What do you mean? That I should know more about the locations, or that I should not have chosen the name?
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Those "Panics world tour" stickers are still up inside Extension.
By
Enigma wrote:Those "Panics world tour" stickers are still up inside Extension.
Haha! Sweet! I ended up doing 3 round the world UE trips and more to Europe, Asia and America.
By
Panic! wrote:
01 Jul 2012, 2:10 pm
I have investigated this rumor repeatedly over the years. I don't think it is true. The vents on the Princes Highway are vents for some sort of gas installation from what I could tell. There is NO repeat, NO doors off the side of the drain that runs under the rail yard. There are NO gates leading into the hill side of the rail yards. Trioxide also explored that drain tunnel and found nothing. This one seems to be BS.
It is known as "Bullshit Bunkers" by myself and a few people. The location is at 33°53'0.82"S 151° 3'56.24"E. Which is nothing new because if you Google the text from the opening post you'll find the street address easy.

There are no doors of any kind in the rail yard. I got permission to do a walk through of part of the yard and have scoped it out from the golf course as well. There are only big round dish hatches to railway communications conduits which are just plastic pipes big enough for mice to explore.

Trust me I once got called out for BS for saying there was a bunker on a particular site, with people telling me there was "no" way there was a bunker there but I found the bugger, got in and photographed it then later toured it with people. So I know what it takes to chase down rumors and find stuff. I've found nothing in records, which does not mean much, as there wasn't much about that bunker I found, but site visits find nothing there. The gold standard would be a GPR survey of the site but that gear is expensive, even to hire and you need to know how to operate it.

It is time this one was put to rest.
it has been put to rest for years...

however from what I know from a good chain of information a major news channel has a story about the search and finding of the bunker very recently.. ive been told to watch the news this week
By
Undergroundexo wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 7:46 pm
it has been put to rest for years...

however from what I know from a good chain of information a major news channel has a story about the search and finding of the bunker very recently.. ive been told to watch the news this week
Still watching?
By
By
By
Sad to see no internal shots....
Id love to see the insides of those...

But i doubt by far that two measly bunker rooms is all there is there..
I remember some significant roadwork out at Chullora about 20 years ago, and at the time i was driving a vehicle high enough to see over the barriers...
When driving west on the hume im sure i recall seeing the open rail that can currently be seen, and then a few metres later seeing down into the darkness of a tunnel (in a section that is now concreted over).
I have done a bit of poking since... Ive thought for years since i did my research on it that what they actually have there is an offshoot of track into an underground storage/loading facility where they could load the planes and tanks that were being made nearby.
Sizewise it seems to fit, and im positive on what i saw, and there are certainly good reasons to keep a cache or loaded train away from your production facility and also out of sight. ...
and now these guys are talking about a bunker that could fit tanks...

I certainly dont imagine a tank fitting through that door they show in the video... theres gotta be some much larger entrances around if they suspect tanks getting in there.. why are they taking on the one and only entrance that we had all talked about and suspected and known had been concreted up..??
And larger entrances surely are easier to find than smaller ones when you have the tools and the right to dig..
Does this smell like somethings being hidden to someone else also?
By
I don't believe anything is been covered up. Its 70yrs ago there's no secrets to be hidden nowadays. The council/historic society or who ever funded the dig would have had limited budget there is only so much they can do. We would all love the past to be opened up but ultimately it will be a few big concrete rooms with little value to the government or council. Most of these places struggle for donations as museums or tourist attractions. The cost to open them up is substantial and with no real return on investment its just not viable. Sucks but its true
never die wondering ;)
 Post a reply
Go