Login RegisterFAQ
Why are people so secretive of locations?
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
I understand it's probably best that 99% of the general public don't know about these locations, but why are people so secretive of locations? I mean, if I am a person that sounds genuine, keen and have a harmless interest in getting into some tunnels to take some photos, why are people so hesitant to reveal any locations? Even ones that are more widely known by explorers? I don't understand it... it's almost like they are hoarding it for themselves or whatever, I dunno... I'm new to this whole thing and so probably incredibly ignorant and naive to whatever 'code' exists... just curious, I consider myself a genuine person of merit wanting to explore these places to take some fabulous photography... something I've been interested in for years but finally finding time to get into it...

anyway.... thoughts?
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
It's are way of protecting them. Also location's are easy to find if look hard enough.
By
Fair enough, but what if say someone like myself comes along to a board and posts up some nice pictures and ask if anyone can recommend/let me in on a nice interesting place (maybe limit me to one a month or whatever) to go and take more pretty pictures of?

I scoped out one today but it was pretty publicly posted on another forum... I think I have some ideas of others but I'd love to know of the real gems.

Anyway I understand wanting to protect them.
By
oh yeah, and of course... if anyone in melb is going for a dive any time and feel like a tagalong let me know, I'm always up for adventure :)
By
Generally as people/ explorers get to know you more and know you're not into graff/ vandalism they will invite you out or tell you about places.

Basically as binjuice said its just to protect places and keep them free from graff and not get them locked up, ect.
By
true. well its safe to say im not a graffer or tagger and have no interest in it just as much as i have not getting caught walking out of a drain with spray paint or markers on me. plus my camera bag is too full to carrythat s*** anyway.

:-)
By
It's about trust.

I don't give anything out except to close urbex friends who I know won't damage anything, vandalize anything, tell retarded friends about the location.. and they have to know the risks of access and are capable of doing it without getting busted (including simple s*** like minimising flashlight use when necessary, keeping quiet, etc). There have been cases in the past with people doing s*** in certain locations that ended up getting it locked forever.. and after a few times to some really good places, I think it's better to just stfu and only tell people you trust.

That's why any good urbex forum/site will NOT have any location details posted. In the end it does drive you to go out yourself and look for places. That's the fun part.

Urbex 101: Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints. But just know, sometimes don't even leave footprints! (serious) Use your judgement as to what's necessary.

There are plenty of easy noob locations like Dunlop in sydney for example, loads of photos online and a quick google search will get you there. Same with a load of drains too. Get your google on and you'll be rewarded.
By
Footprints.

Excellent point DangerDanger.

I bet quite a few young UE's wouldn't even think about checking if they leave footprints.

Also do not MOVE anything.

If you are concerned about light from torches, invest in a Gen II Night Vision monocular, and get a IR filter for your torch. The upper quality levels of Gen II is good enough quality for inside drains and buildings etc.

You can use sneak around anywhere you want and unless someone else has night vision sensitive to Infra Red, then NO_ONE will see a thing.

PM: me if you want more details.
By
i'm so f*****g sick of reading this "Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints". Instead of waxing philosophical the whole time with bullshit rhetoric, just go explore.

this s*** is getting tedious.
By
PSape wrote:i'm so f*****g sick of reading this "Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints". Instead of waxing philosophical the whole time with bullshit rhetoric, just go explore.

this s*** is getting tedious.
It's f*****g important, that's why we all have to make it clear to everyone not to f*** around with certain locations so we can all enjoy them the way they are rather than have retards find their way in a location and trash it/steal s***/get it locked up forever.

If you wanna be ignorant about it, then please gtfo.

I love exploring, photographing and admiring these places is a huge part of my life atm and i'm sick to death of fuckwits ruining it for everyone. If you know the deal and finally understand why, then gg bro.. go for your life. You don't have to read this s***. It's all being said for new guys/girls who are relatively new to this whole thing.
By
the "code" is important, you saying 10,000 times "take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints" is YOUR personal rule. it doesn't have to apply to everyone. maybe i will gtfo, because i came here expecting dedicated explorers, not photo-jockeys who like to stoke their own ego. my personal experience, the photographers are the only ones who get super possessive because "graff ruins their shot". Go do a f*****g professional photo shoot you drain gestapo.
By
i explore (and have alway done) because it is FREEDOM. to make people follow your exact set of rules is contrary to this and douchie.
By
also, take into account that we are all in different locations, and this means variations in practice. Brisbane C/C tend not to drink and explore in a very clinical fashion. Melb C/C are far more social and relaxed about it. one way is not better than the other, they are just different.
By
I think you should be abit more respectful if you wish to stay a part of the forum.
By
f*** you binjuice, i can say whatever i want. screw this forum, i'm out. have fun finding s*** yourselves.
By
banned your wish is granted.
By
PSape wrote:the "code" is important, you saying 10,000 times "take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints" is YOUR personal rule. it doesn't have to apply to everyone. maybe i will gtfo, because i came here expecting dedicated explorers, not photo-jockeys who like to stoke their own ego. my personal experience, the photographers are the only ones who get super possessive because "graff ruins their shot". Go do a f*****g professional photo shoot you drain gestapo.
I know this guys is banned but i'll reply anyway.. *takes deep breath*

It's not about the shots getting ruined. I can't believe some people can be so ignorant.. seriously. It's about keeping some of the fragile places special and accessible.

Take white bay for example. You used to be able to explore it in broad daylight with nobody bothering you.. Since then.. people who thought graffing and trashing s*** was a good idea killed it for everyone else. Look at it now, it's rigged like f*** with alarms and sensors with 24/7 onsite security. GG spastics.

Don't get me wrong, I love graff and street art in general.. there are some locations which look amazing and colourful thanks to some really talented people. You need to use your judgement when and where it's appropriate. Some people are too thick in the head to realise this. Sometimes it's not even that.. If some retards are too loud somewhere or not careful enough and people are alerted to their presence (whether it be security/police or people that end up calling the police).. it's can end in the same result of having extra security added to the place which is f*****g annoying for everyone else.

I have many more examples of stuff getting locked up as tight as a nun, but whoever else reads this.. it's not that hard to understand why things are the way they are now and why we had to have these shitty but important "rules" in place to keep having awesome places for everyone to explore. Times changed and lessons were learnt.

Argh, I feel like a f*****g lecturer talking about this s***. I'm done.

Just have fun guys.. use your judgement and respect the scene, that's all.
By
Psape, shame you feel that way mate. I like to go back into some of the places I go, and if I left 'sign' that someone visited, it would be a LOT harder to go back.

Security and caretakers leave items in place, ON PURPOSE to see if they get moved.
By
Psape, is deactivated.

Usually we issue warnings on this forum, but such attitude will deserve an instant ban. Sad to see some people were raised in such way.
By
i certainly didn't really think exploring larundale with all that f*****g graffiti was the best... would have been so much cooler to explore if it wasn't trashed like that... but nonetheless it was fun.... but yeah I can see how you would want to keep it out of the hands of those undesirables who just want to be destructive... there were probably only a handful of pieces around larundale that were any good, the rest was garbage... was good fun taking photos but I would have at least liked to have found one room that wasn't trashed and still kind of authentic looking
By
here is proof that things are better left as you find them. Imagine if the retards into badly executed graffiti and tagging got to this place.
 Post a reply
Go