Login RegisterFAQ
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
been looking for some places to go came across this just wondering if anyone been here?

During World War II, Chullora was selected as the site for a major wartime manufacturing plant. The site once occupied several hundred acres of land surrounded by Rookwood Cemetery, Brunker Road, the Hume Highway and Centenary Drive. The site was said to have been the largest secret manufacturing plant in Australia which was used for the production of military weapons, plane components, tanks, HE Bombs and ordnance. Over two-thousand men and woman were employed to work at the factory on a daily basis. During the war the factory produced components for 700 Beaufort, 380 Beau fighter and up to 50 Lincoln aircraft. Over 54 ACI tanks were built as well as 60 General Lee tanks that were adapted for use in the Australian Military, as were local jeeps in the 1970s. The factory also produced 81 cupola turrets for the British Matilda tanks.[1] [2] [3]

An underground "bunker" and tunnel system is located on this site. It is directly under a block flats in Davidson Street and Marlene Crescent. The entrance to the "bunker" is by steel doors set in concrete into the hillside in a railway cutting which runs from alongside the railway line parallel to Marlene Crescent at a platform called the Railwelders and which leads under the block of flats. The doors to this "bunker" were welded up in the late 1980s. The steel doors are no longer visible, and the associated area has been back filled.

Apart from the bunker, there is also a network of storage facilities that extend under the railway workshop. Sometime between 1977 to 1978 the steel access doors were fitted with locks (Railway SL type). The airshafts for this "bunker" are still clearly seen from the Hume Highway and some of them are within metres of the roadway. It has also been alleged that a tunnel approximately 6 km (4 miles) long connects this complex with Bankstown Bunker, (RAAF headquarters during World War II) on the corner of Marion and Edgar Street Condell Park.[4] Access to this network of storage facilities was from a steel door, bolted into the side of a stormwater drain which runs along the old RTA building in Chullora, it then runs under the Hume Hwy and eventually under the rail workshop.
its only ilegal if you get caught
By
This location has fallen into myth. It's the holy grail of Sydney. Many of us (Cave Clan) have searched countless times over the years but have never come any closer to finding a possible entry.
Scarecrow of the Sydney branch of the Cave Clan.
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
I know this is an old post but someone may be interested still.
I found the entrance to the facility under Marlene and Davidson st about 4 years ago.
Im sure I have the pics on an old cd somewhere. I'll try and find it this week and post it.
By
You found the entrance? It's welded shut though right?
By
Yes it is. I havent found the pic yet but my wife assures me she knows where the disc is. I searched for air vents but found nothing remotely like one. Its been welded shut, bricked over and then backfilled with dirt. It looks like its only a normal size door or slightly bigger. Its directly behind where an old station named "Welders" was. It was called welders because it was quite close to the welding shop.
If the disc cant be found I'll go back in and get another pic. Its easy enough if you know how.
By
d0dg3r wrote:You found the entrance? It's welded shut though right?
Where there's a will there's a way. ;)
Wander often. Wonder always.
By
You would seriously need a small backhoe or about 6 guys with picks and shovels. I really cant see it happening. But Ive said that before and been proven wrong.
By
I'm a guy and I have a shovel :D
just need 5 more guys and shovels!
and beer!
and lunch!
:lol:
By
I'm a guy and I have an axe.

That makes two, right?
Subscribe to my journal to see random exploration photos.
Where are the cat emoticons?
By
Its in the middle of a working rail yard. Wait till I post the pics before you get too carried away.
By
sorry, just enthusiastic :)
By
peterh13 wrote:Its in the middle of a working rail yard. Wait till I post the pics before you get too carried away.
So we need 6 guys with shovels/axes/drills, and maybe Batman too?
By
Midget wrote:
peterh13 wrote:Its in the middle of a working rail yard. Wait till I post the pics before you get too carried away.
So we need 6 guys with shovels/axes/drills, and maybe Batman too?
Well I gotcha covered in the Batman department. He's a good close personal friend of mine.
Wander often. Wonder always.
By
Echo wrote:Well I gotcha covered in the Batman department. He's a good close personal friend of mine.
"Friend".

Guys I found Batman. *points to Echo*
By
Some of these older posts speak of large metal doors being bolted into the stormwater canal near the old RTA building. I can remember that building from when i was a kid and its on the opposite side of the Hume H/way and there is a motel on that site now. Ive walked that canal and theres no doors in it. Although they would have been bricked over years before.
By
people have spent a lot of time looking for this, I'll believe it when I see the pictures. Not trying to sound rude, just that if its as easy to spot as you say, then surely someone else would have found a way in by now.
That said, im definitely up for pick, shovel or crowbar duty if it happens.

On a vaguely related side note, I'm currently working on a former defence force site from the 40's. The sites been broken up though and I'm pretty confident anything even remotely military is long gone aside from one olive drab warehouse.
By
Or a brick lying in the dirt.

Unless you play ruin excavator, maybe find a whole secret network of tunnels underground. :D
By

I know this doesn't look like much. But if you get close enough and shine a light between those old blocks of concrete you can see the door and if you look to the sides you can definately see the concrete frame that the doors are set in. I know its not much of a pic but its all I have. Its directly below the block of flats and behind a levelled off section that used to be a station.

This took me 25 to 30 minutes to find. :)
By

Where I entered the rail yard from the block of flats.
By

Where I parked. Took these pics in 2007.
By
Sounds intriguing..... If the need arises I also have said shovel :D
But I think something with a little more EXPLOSIVE power might be required ;)
By
If you look at the first pic you can see (painted yellow) one of the sawn off peirs from the station.
They've obviously taken down the big glaring neon sign that says "Secret Underground Bunker." :)
By
daeman wrote:people have spent a lot of time looking for this, I'll believe it when I see the pictures. Not trying to sound rude, just that if its as easy to spot as you say, then surely someone else would have found a way in by now.
That said, im definitely up for pick, shovel or crowbar duty if it happens.

On a vaguely related side note, I'm currently working on a former defence force site from the 40's. The sites been broken up though and I'm pretty confident anything even remotely military is long gone aside from one olive drab warehouse.
Its not near Nowra by any chance is it ??
By
I hope you find the CD and post some pics, before the spooks find you.
IF the bunker exists (we have reason to think it does) then it probably isn't as abandoned as everyone assumes. There's reasons for thinking it may still be active, and jealously 'vanished'.

Anyway some pics would be greatly appreciated.
By
Diode wrote:I hope you find the CD and post some pics, before the spooks find you.
IF the bunker exists (we have reason to think it does) then it probably isn't as abandoned as everyone assumes. There's reasons for thinking it may still be active, and jealously 'vanished'.

Anyway some pics would be greatly appreciated.
Care to elaborate?
 Post a reply
Go