Login RegisterFAQ
Asbestos & other health risks
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Abandoned places which were built between some time and another time (cbf figuring out) may contain asbestos, this is well known to be the cause of many diseases if exposed too long. What are some ways in which to minimise the exposure to asbestos (do bandanas work, or do you need a dust mask)? Also what are some other health risks involved in urban exploring.
By
Asbestos also stick's to your clothes and skin if its in the air. When dealing with it you should have a full body disposable suit on with shoe cap's and glove's but dusk mask or bandana will probably be sufficient enough. Other thing would be black mould, bird poo, weak walls, ladder's, floors and stairs, be prepared for anything.
By
Bunnings sells a variety of masks and respirators. i've got one for fumes and tiny particles that i use at home when aerosol painting (cost about $40). I've recently discovered this handy when dealing with bats because guano is putrid, but it would suffice for asbestos and anything else too i believe.
By
sinnisterish wrote:What are some ways in which to minimise the exposure to asbestos (do bandanas work, or do you need a dust mask)?
The most effective way to minimise exposure is to not disturb (break apart) any material that might contain asbestos, and avoid areas where it may have been disturbed already. Just brushing past a broken asbestos surface will release thousands of fibres, though while intact it is virtually harmless.

If exposure is unavoidable, you will need a full length disposable suit (as mentioned earlier) in addition to a mask. If you wear a mask only - your clothes and shoes still become contaminated. Those fibres will stick and get carried home for you to inhale later.
By
Thanks for the advice everyone. Another question, don't you need to be exposed for a few years to develop a sickness.
By
sinnisterish wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. Another question, don't you need to be exposed for a few years to develop a sickness.
Not at all - though it can take more than 30 years to develop any obvious symptoms.

It only takes a single fibre to be inhaled and embed itself in your lung tissue.
This can happen the first time you are exposed.
Your body does a good job at protecting your lungs (fibres are caught in nose hairs, mucous etc.) before inhalation, so you would be unlucky to contract abestosis, lung cancer or mesothelioma after 1 exposure - but it is certainly possible.
acually is nuggs
My Explores
 Post a reply
Go