Login RegisterFAQ
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Top Gear are apparently going to be in Chernobyl this season!
By
you can pay to do a motorbike tour through Cherno its not completely legal, they get you in and your groups then pretty much on their own, minus a tour guide
"When life's got you down, climb as high as you can!" - Revelations at 40+ stories
i get around like sushi on a kaiten
By
So, free motorbike for the rest of your travels?
By
i imagine "free" is as much as your deposit. "in soviet russia, bike deposits you!"
"When life's got you down, climb as high as you can!" - Revelations at 40+ stories
i get around like sushi on a kaiten
By
saw this is an old post but i was in Ukraine in November and I can tell you one thing, I wouldn't risk doing it without a permit or a guide…

First of all its not somewhere overly accessible unless you drive, and driving on the roads there can get hectic once out of Kiev. And it feels like Chernobyl is in the middle of no where.

Also Chernobyl is f**king massive! i was there for 9 hours and had a car and still didn't see nearly all i wanted to see. on foot you wouldn't cover much ground at all.

Also security when we were there was pretty hectic, the gates don't open till 10am, and we were there at 950 and we had to stay there and wait and they check your passport and everything. When we were driving around we saw a lot of security and people working as well. We went over onto an island where all the house boats were and within 5 minutes we had a security guard telling our tour guy we had to leave as we weren't allowed here.

My main thought why not to do it, is if you get caught, you'll get f****d up. its a serious offence trespassing here and you might end up leaving and entreating Belarus instead of Ukraine (as from what I know Chernobyl is in both countries) and that could cause all sorts of visa issues.

My advice, use a tour group, but do a private tour…you'll see more ground and see cool sh*t. We did a private tour with four of us and it was epic. i contacted the tour company before hand and spoke to them about what i wanted to see and told them i was a photographer and avid urban explorer and when our guide collected us he had the print out of places i said and he literally took us to all of them and loads more.
Then we spoke to a couple who went on the group tour which had like 15-20 people on their tour and they didn't see nearly as much as we did (and were pretty cut about it as well)

I've rambled on loads but if you want to know anything else man message me, and if you want to see pics have a look here

http://thehoneymoonproject.blogspot.com ... rains.html

(yeah we went there on our honeymoon haha)
By
also all the roads into chernobyl were either closed or have security 24/7…you're only way of getting in there would be permit (which i don't think you can get anymore) or guided tour or sneaking in on foot.
By
By
Just be careful where you go because parts of it are still full of radiation. I'm pretty sure those parts are locked off but get one of those radiation counters
By
there's still loads of radiation hot spots! and they are super random. near the ferris wheel there was a spot of moss that was deadly high levels, take one step away and it dropped right down. then in some of the buildings one room would be so high we couldn't be in there for any longer then to see the level on the gigacounter/meter thing, and then in the hallway there was next to no levels…

Another reason i advise against going on your own, there is still a lot of radiation lurking around and no one really enjoys radiation poisoning :)
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Mad as. That'd be the urbex trip of a lifetime mate. Your blog is great btw.
Jaffs on CC and Jaffs01 on Flickr
"urbex is not for tourists......its for adventurers" DeScent (RIP)
By
No+Pro wrote:
great pics & write up mate

Great ? .. I say fkn superb! half of those i have never seen or even knew existed in Pripyat, what a great insight ;)

I thank you very very much for taking these and sharing it with us.
By
The only advice I have for anyone who wants to do this trip, don't just do the Zone. It's pretty cool, but some of the other stuff I did in Ukraine was infinitely better, keep in mind everything there has been there for a few decades, and regardless of if there is human interaction or not, it gets trashed. There's newer, cooler stuff to be seen there than just this...
By
However i would not recommend traveling to Ukraine for now as there is a civil war going on.
By
4 Reply with quote Permalink
Today marks 30 years since the event.

Think about what hell was breaking loose around this place if you lived there, like, knowing what we know now...

Not very nice at all................

R I P
The explorer in the west................
By
Bangers wrote:Today marks 30 years since the event.

Think about what hell was breaking loose around this place if you lived there, like, knowing what we know now...

Not very nice at all................

R I P
And let's not forget those that gave their lives containing this disaster as well.
Just a harmless explorer. No need to waste taxes checking me ;)
By
I'm planning to travel to Chernobyl next year and exploring through the exclusion zone. I'm most likely traveling alone so i'll be doing guided tours for safety. Has anyone been recentlyish? I'm just wondering how safe it is in general traveling Ukraine alone? Does anyone have recommendations of which tour companies actually let you see the most? I know some won't let you into most buildings and some will depending on the guide you get and the size of the tour group ect.

I'm also planning on exploring in other parts of Ukraine and am trying to work out whether to spend a bulk of my time in the exclusion zone or not because I can't stand tours although thats probably the only safe way to get a look around in there :lol:

Any tips are appreciated!
By
2 Reply with quote Permalink
Get a visa sorted. Otherwise you'll have to travel from embassy to embassy until you find one that will grant you one (Shout out to Poland!).

Get a mode of transport and a GPS that works without internet. We had a car but the police there are all crazy corrupt and pull you over and insist on bribes and pull you over at every traffic stop.

It's a place full of crazy good abandonments. I'm sure I've ranted in this thread before. But it's also a scary place. I'd suggest not going alone.
By
I was there last year. Loved the country. Didn't feel unsafe at any time. I went through ukrainianweb.com the dudes name was Yuri. We climbed the Duga 3 :)
I put a "No Trespassing" sign on the fence. Now no one will enter.
By
sxtysvn wrote:I'm planning to travel to Chernobyl next year and exploring through the exclusion zone. I'm most likely traveling alone so i'll be doing guided tours for safety. Has anyone been recentlyish? I'm just wondering how safe it is in general traveling Ukraine alone? Does anyone have recommendations of which tour companies actually let you see the most? I know some won't let you into most buildings and some will depending on the guide you get and the size of the tour group ect.

I'm also planning on exploring in other parts of Ukraine and am trying to work out whether to spend a bulk of my time in the exclusion zone or not because I can't stand tours although thats probably the only safe way to get a look around in there :lol:

Any tips are appreciated!
I went there about 10 years ago and again to the Ukraine for work a fair bit almost 2 years ago. If you can get in a small tour group (there was just 2 of us) and you get a good guide you can do lots. Here's my web-page on the tour I did. However the company I went through, Kiev-Travel seems to have closed. http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... index.html

As for the rest of the country, keep in mind that there are still separatists to the east and the Crimea, and still landmines, and combat to deal with. I can assure you that having someone point an AK-74 (newer version of the AK-47) at your car is never fun. But Kiev and the route to Pripyat are fine, no issues. Loved the country. The women are STUNNING! The men, all overweight, but mostly polite and helpful.

Under Kiev there are some great water supply tunnels which can be accessed along the river. PM me for more details.
"Oh! That's YOUR web site!" ... "Yep, that one." http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... windex.htm
And read the damn Newbies FAQ and guide to writing a first post! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4257&p=40693
By
I really appreciate all the info guys! Can't wait!
By
I heard they started moving the new containment structure last week?
The explorer in the west................
By
Videos online, so impressive.
By
what state, what street. Please, need to find spots and Abandoned Australia recommended this site for me
By
cale mallard wrote:what state, what street. Please, need to find spots and Abandoned Australia recommended this site for me
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Oh! That's YOUR web site!" ... "Yep, that one." http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... windex.htm
And read the damn Newbies FAQ and guide to writing a first post! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4257&p=40693
By
cale mallard wrote:what state, what street. Please, need to find spots and Abandoned Australia recommended this site for me
:o :lol:
 Post a reply
Go