Login RegisterFAQ
Why is Uega dead?
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
I honestly wonder what has happened here. Oh well.
If you never go... you will never know...
By
3 Reply with quote Permalink
My opinions...
1 - forums in general are dead, killed by fb and the like. There are a few exceptions such as UER & 28 Days, but most have died.
2- All the old UEGA are all in the top level secret UEGA area to avoid me. I was in it many years ago. It's all caviar, martinis & super stealth locations.
By
All places have been covered and posted.....Most places are getting harder to explore.
By
6 Reply with quote Permalink
Depends who we're referring to. The retention rate for new members joining and sticking around has always seemed a bit low. I think for a lot of outsiders and first timers urbex presents itself as a grand adventure. The reality is somewhat different. It takes a lot of time to really get invested in the scene overall.
When it comes to older members, well personally I feel that's an urbex politics thing. Something which is prevalent throughout the scene, not just on UEGA. However I feel a lot of us have come to a conclusion that we cant please everyone so we wont even bother. Personally the less I seem to care the easier and more enjoyable my experience is. I make the odd post every now and again but for the most part what I put in vs what I get out doesn't make posting worth it. Easier to just DM the odd few people who need things and chat one on one rather than on the boards where everyone is lurking and judging. I simply do not have the time or will power for that stuff anymore.
Wander often. Wonder always.
By
3 Reply with quote Permalink
Yeah it's definitely not thriving like it once was, this is my first visit for a year or so.
I guess like everything, work and life get in the way and once you find and conquer the "must see" attractions everything else seems to loose the excitement that it had.
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Well this is what I'm gathering:

UEGA has already low numbers, and unless it thrives with low numbers, new people will never want to come and contribute. it seems like the people who are on UEGA are sort of stuck in their own heads about keeping urbex a secret art as if its a hidden martial art that must be contained within the mountains of northern Japan. Its just exploring stuff, and I don't see what wrong with sharing a little and helping other people, because if no one shares what they learn, it will just die with them. UEGA is dead because people stopped doing what I assume the forum was made for - sharing knowledge. Now you don't have to share your deepest darkest techniques, but a little help to newbies would go a long way.

just saying, why would you expect people to join a forum and want to stay when the forum doesn't share information or help people?

I look back at posts from around 2013, and I can see that there was a community of people who helped each other. I think that we stopped doing that and that's why it died (it has nothing to do with lack of interest in urbex). make it a good time, and the numbers will come rolling in. but I'm new, so what do I know?
By
I dunno.

It's a pretty edge culture - I don't think uega is ever going to be a huge thing, and if it was, is that what people would want?

I'm ok with a small community.
By
On a side note it says a lot when neither the owner nor members of staff post pretty much at all, or in some cases haven't even been active in months. I suppose I'm not really looking to be too critical or incite any dramas, simply making an observation based on UEGA today vs UEGA 4 years ago when I signed up. Times change, people move on. Understandable. However I feel that given some new active staff members, a complete thread cleanup and generally just some time and care UEGA could certainly be a bit more than it has become. Though that is neither here nor there really as the people who could make that happen, for lack of better words, seem to me to have lost the passion.
Wander often. Wonder always.
By
Hey

There's been too much personal stuff happening in the background as some of you may know already.

And I'm being slammed at my new work. Always feeling too worn out each week to do urbex stuff or go through photos. And as you know lots of stuff in Sydney is being demolished and it is difficult to keep on top of it.

I did have the nerve to do some tiny stuff last year outside Sydney. But work commitments and some training outside work hours have stopped me putting updates.

On another note I have passed a cloud certification exam after studying for few months (it's Oracle which I heard is not doing well unfortunately although if you get a free exam voucher from them you might as well use it? AWS is still on my todo list) so at least that's one goal kicked and frees up a bit more time to do other stuff.

I still have a personal family trip to asia later in the year (probably not much exploring here as it's mainly dealing with relatives and lawyers). But once that's done hopefully things will get back to normal

It would also be good if someone would step up now and post a meetup. I will try and attend.

Cheers

edge
Just a harmless explorer. No need to waste taxes checking me ;)
By
yes a meetup is a good idea, are new members also invited to those?
 Post a reply
Go