Login RegisterFAQ
map
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Does anyone have a map of places to visit?
By
6 Reply with quote Permalink
Do you have a learning difficulty or just have an undying urge to piss off and continually disrespect the urbex community? :?:
By
Well i got a map of drains so why not ask for other places?

Can't see how i am pissing anyone off when my passion is to explore just like everyone else here.
By
It's ok to ask to swap locations but not staight up ask for them lol
By
There are not too many people that would be willing to hand out a map of locations to someone they haven't met yet....

Your best bet would be to hit up other explorers on the Brisbane random meetups page and ask around if anyone is active on the weekends...im sure a few others and myself included would meet up on weekends....

Im very active on weekends so you and anyone else are welcome to join in....after some time getting to know people they will trust you enough to show you some of the better locations :D
By
5 Reply with quote Permalink
Its a respect thing mate. Most of us have spent countless hours searching, hiking, crawling through s***, lack of sleep, cuts bruises and fucked backs. Searching for places, maybe once you find some places of your own you'll understand what the exploration side is about. The search often makes better stories and memories then the find! That's why we do it. Well that's why I do it. I'm not chasing Instagram fans I do it for the experience
never die wondering ;)
By
tommo wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 4:57 pm
Its a respect thing mate. Most of us have spent countless hours searching, hiking, crawling through s***, lack of sleep, cuts bruises and fucked backs. Searching for places, maybe once you find some places of your own you'll understand what the exploration side is about. The search often makes better stories and memories then the find! That's why we do it. Well that's why I do it. I'm not chasing Instagram fans I do it for the experience
So you should know how hard it is to find the locations to do research and s***???? And isn't me asking doing some sort of research??? Talking about fucked backs i have a degenerate bone and 3 bouldges in my back from heavy lifting from work and born with scoliosis not to mention a screw in my right hand that i get constant pain from and nerve damage along with osteoporosis from them taking a bone graph for my hand where they put the screw....So i do know what pain is and all i asked for was a helping hand in some locations.
By
Ferret wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 4:54 pm
There are not too many people that would be willing to hand out a map of locations to someone they haven't met yet....

Your best bet would be to hit up other explorers on the Brisbane random meetups page and ask around if anyone is active on the weekends...im sure a few others and myself included would meet up on weekends....

Im very active on weekends so you and anyone else are welcome to join in....after some time getting to know people they will trust you enough to show you some of the better locations :D
That would be good to have someone to come exploring with me or even show me places.....I myself have places that they seem to not have been mentioned on here.
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
Meet up and be shown. Any photos or stories often give enough hints.. A bit of thinking out the square with searches helps. I know pain too but I'm not going into that.
never die wondering ;)
By
Devils Donuts wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 10:30 am
Yes, I do!!

Lots of them! I'll even share lots of them with you. Check out my web site. Heaps of maps of places to visit.

One day I might even add land marks to the maps so people can figure out where they are. I'll put it on my to do list.

On a more serious note I bet your map is really my map.
"Oh! That's YOUR web site!" ... "Yep, that one." http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... windex.htm
And read the damn Newbies FAQ and guide to writing a first post! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4257&p=40693
By
tommo wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 4:57 pm
I'm not chasing Instagram fans I do it for the experience
My next vote for best statement of the year. Well said Tommo.
"Oh! That's YOUR web site!" ... "Yep, that one." http://www.uer.ca/urbanadventure/www.ur ... windex.htm
And read the damn Newbies FAQ and guide to writing a first post! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4257&p=40693
By
Panic! wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 7:20 pm
Devils Donuts wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 10:30 am

On a more serious note I bet your map is really my map.
I don't think so Tim
By
3 Reply with quote Permalink
Honestly, IME, most people are willing to do a trade.
I don't even want to think about how many hours I've spent trawling google maps and driving around - But it is kind of part of the fun.
Finding a photo and finding out where it is is like an adventure in itself.
That, or I'm just a nerd :P
By
I just don't have the money to drive around otherwise i would drive around looking
By
4 Reply with quote Permalink
When i started in 2005 i didn't have a car at all....i would walk along the river or i would catch a ferry and look for drain openings as i went up and down the river

I would look out the window when catching a train and take note of buildings that looked abandoned

I would look at topographical maps of the city looking for creeks and rivers on the map but not visible at street level (a damn good indication a lot of water flows underground here...AKA HUGE drain) then i would lift every manhole i could see in the area till i found an entrance

I would scan the forums and urbex pages for clues on places to visit (i still do)......

Its only been in recent years of talking to other explorers that i have been given the common names of places that i already know

I personally think being given a map ruins the experience of exploring... like i have seen pics of places i have wanted to visit for years and every now and then i find the location or i visit it with another explorer and im over the moon...the surprise of entering a room and the shock of knowing where you are suddenly is such a better feeling than picking it out like a shopping list

My best advice...make some friends on this forum to go exploring with... other explorers will always know places that you wont..... and you will know places they don't so you will both find new places together
By
Devils Donuts wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 2:28 pm
I just don't have the money to drive around otherwise i would drive around looking
Walk you will see more. Honestly i go for walks on my lunch break and i have found a number of locations like that. Finding your own stuff is more rewarding than following every other explorer.

What suburb are you in?
By
I have 4 kids and full custody of them the youngest is 10 months old.....I know walking would be the best thing to do but i got limited time to do it like every 2nd weekend if that.
By
Devils Donuts wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 7:49 am
I know walking would be the best thing to do but i got limited time to do it like every 2nd weekend if that.
I have school 5 days a week and work all weekend so I can relate to the limited time thing. I've found google earth pretty useful for finding locations and creating maps. If you are looking for drains I find that using the non-satellite map feature helps. Follow large creeks until they come to an end and then check if theres a drain there on streetview/satellite mode. For abandonments just trawl satellite view for anything that looks overgrown/dilapidated, and then check it out on streetview. Comparing the historical satellite images can be useful too as it gives you a vague idea of how long a building has been empty for. Commercial real estate webpages can sometimes provide the goods, usually they are just full of boring empty warehouses, but I have found a couple of nice old buildings through that method.
Cheers
By
Terraserver.com often has more up to date sat images than google maps - that might help :)
 Post a reply
Go