Login RegisterFAQ
ANZAC Drain Flooding
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Hey UEGA, will it be too late by early 2019 (January) to explore ANZAC Drain due to the issues of the flooding of the front bit. Anyway if you were to navigate your way through the flooded entrance how best would you do it. Get your shoes wet, gum boots, inflatable raft ect.

Thanks JAVpenney :D
By
Why would it be too late?

We used siphons for the Clannies but you may want a more simple option πŸ˜€

I'm not suggesting you try this but when I've gone up there unexpectedly I just take my shoes and socks off as it's only flooded for awhile.

Rubber dinghy is fun.
By
Drains don't work like abandonments. They usually don't go anywhere and and the only real problem might be flooding. I'm unsure whether ANZAC was intentionally or unintentionally flooded but if you're still dedicated enough, you can get in there pretty easily. I've also seen somewhere (I think it was here) that there's apparently an alarm in there but that seems like a load of bullshit to me (How exactly are the coppers gonna get down there to arrest you). There's a vid on YouTube of a couple of teenagers heading down there on a couple of inflatable rafts so thats always a viable option. You could wade through the water if you can't afford $20 for a raft and a bicycle pump. There's a couple of manhole entrances but again, you'd probably need some tools to open those. Best option would probably be the rafts but you might get your arse a little wet so don't wear your best trousers or shorts. Apart from that, its up to you to choose since I don't think ANZAC is going anywhere, unless Melb Water put bars over the entrance.
By
MW damned it 5 or so years ago.
By
ironfistdoug wrote: ↑
01 Dec 2018, 3:18 pm
to stop people going in?
By
Thanks and I believe so as Echo said he has a mate who works for MW and he said that they flooded it because there was a huge rave in the tomb anyway thanks and would gumboots work to get nothing wet

Thanks JAVpenney
By
probably but you wouldn't bring clothes you wouldn't mind getting wet anyway. In any drain, there's a chance of slipping and getting fully soaked. Gumboots would need to be pretty tight because they can just as easily fill up with water if you get what I mean. you could always bring a towel and a change of clothes.
By
Yeah, the water will overflow into the boots. Thongs & shorts are good.

I think MW said they built the dam to keep silt & crap out of the river. Was it you Iso that was chatting to the MW guy on their fb page?
By
bridgelords wrote: ↑
01 Dec 2018, 5:31 pm
01 Dec 2018, 3:18 pm
to stop people going in?
It tends to keep the wrong kind of people out πŸ˜€
By
Good point if anyone wants to do ANZAC With me hmu
By
And also does anyone know how long the flooded bit goes for
By
JAVpenney wrote: ↑
01 Dec 2018, 9:13 pm
And also does anyone know how long the flooded bit goes for
01 Dec 2018, 3:02 pm
...as it's only flooded for awhile.
A while being a few minutes
By
I mean there's a few other entrances to Anzac apart from the dam. Overall though the dam isn't that bad. I've only waded through it a few times as I find other methods of access more comfortable. I just wear a $5 pair of kmart slipons, stay close to the right hand wall and wade in, it's no more than knee deep from my last memory. It does seem to drag on for a while but it'll dry up before the chamber.
Wander often. Wonder always.
By
3 Reply with quote Permalink
MW built the dam to reduce erosion of the invert (concrete bit at the bottom) and to reduce loading on the litter trap out the front, not specifically keep people out (but that was a pleasant side-effect :)

Just wade through it. Kmart $4 shoes are the best for this, if you don't mind getting your feet wet. Gumboots will probably breach. As long as you don't have any cuts on your legs, the dilute sewage from the ERS flap won't give you much grief (yes, there's definitely sewage in there). You do get chemical exposure (hydrocarbons/heavy metals/dog poo) from each trip, but as long as you don't go up there super frequently you're not increasing your risk of getting autoimmune issues/cancer that much.

I always put waders on when I go up there personally, and Doug will confirm that, but that's because I'm softcore :P
Iso of the Cave Clan
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
iso wrote: ↑
03 Dec 2018, 12:01 pm
MW built the dam to reduce erosion of the invert (concrete bit at the bottom) and to reduce loading on the litter trap out the front, not specifically keep people out (but that was a pleasant side-effect :)

Just wade through it. Kmart $4 shoes are the best for this, if you don't mind getting your feet wet. Gumboots will probably breach. As long as you don't have any cuts on your legs, the dilute sewage from the ERS flap won't give you much grief (yes, there's definitely sewage in there). You do get chemical exposure (hydrocarbons/heavy metals/dog poo) from each trip, but as long as you don't go up there super frequently you're not increasing your risk of getting autoimmune issues/cancer that much.

I always put waders on when I go up there personally, and Doug will confirm that, but that's because I'm softcore :P
Another cheap option that might be a little fun...

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/raft-boat-set/2140327

or as an alternative, you can chuck an extra $10 in and get the bigger model...

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/rx-300 ... m_vc=PDPZ1
By
03 Dec 2018, 7:03 pm
iso wrote: ↑
03 Dec 2018, 12:01 pm

Another cheap option that might be a little fun...

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/raft-boat-set/2140327

or as an alternative, you can chuck an extra $10 in and get the bigger model...

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/rx-300 ... m_vc=PDPZ1
thanks mate hmu on Insta at penney7091_urbex if you want to explore or just check out my photos
By
Explored ANZAC for the first time today. Didn't end using rafts as my friend and I decided to enter the drain from the manhole exit. It was pretty easy lift at first when we entered but it was a bastard to move when we tried to get out of the drain, needing both of us to push the damn thing out. After a fairly easy walk, aside from a painful low rectangular bit, we reached the chamber. It was definitely well worth the effort and it felt just massive. We checked out the other side where the drain is flooded. The water kinda created this really trippy effect where it looked like you could walk it but it was just the reflection. Overall it's one of the best drains we've done so far and we're looking forward to heading back there again.
By
04 Dec 2018, 4:29 pm
Explored ANZAC for the first time today. Didn't end using rafts as my friend and I decided to enter the drain from the manhole exit. It was pretty easy lift at first when we entered but it was a bastard to move when we tried to get out of the drain, needing both of us to push the damn thing out. After a fairly easy walk, aside from a painful low rectangular bit, we reached the chamber. It was definitely well worth the effort and it felt just massive. We checked out the other side where the drain is flooded. The water kinda created this really trippy effect where it looked like you could walk it but it was just the reflection. Overall it's one of the best drains we've done so far and we're looking forward to heading back there again.
Ahh yes, that manhole is a pain. Might I suggest perhaps looking for the crawl pipe grill as an alternate exit. You'll find it in the left hand wall if you're walking upstream from the chamber. In/close to the rectangular section I believe. There's a number of tags around it with some saying exit. It bends slightly to the left and you can see light (the grill) not far down it. There's always a small bit of water in the pipe as it's sunken a bit creating a lip but it's easy enough to crawl with your legs wide and avoid getting wet. The grill is rectangular and quite an easy lift. Watch for cars, it's in the side of the road, and don't drop it on yourself of course. Never had any issues myself.
Wander often. Wonder always.
By
@echo you win the signature wars
By
Echo wrote: ↑
05 Dec 2018, 6:15 pm
Ahh yes, that manhole is a pain. Might I suggest perhaps looking for the crawl pipe grill as an alternate exit. You'll find it in the left hand wall if you're walking upstream from the chamber. In/close to the rectangular section I believe. There's a number of tags around it with some saying exit. It bends slightly to the left and you can see light (the grill) not far down it. There's always a small bit of water in the pipe as it's sunken a bit creating a lip but it's easy enough to crawl with your legs wide and avoid getting wet. The grill is rectangular and quite an easy lift. Watch for cars, it's in the side of the road, and don't drop it on yourself of course. Never had any issues myself.
I’ll definitely check that out next time, especially if I happen to be by myself. The manhole was quite an arse taking two of us (even though we’re typical scrawny teenage drain explorers). I’m just glad we got it off. I’m sure the housing complex there enjoyed listening to us carrying on and mucking about with the manhole cover. But a grill/gutterbox with a short crawl is always fun.
 Post a reply
Go