Login RegisterFAQ
Is the Sydney cave clan still active?
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Just realised its been 10 years since I was last on a largish gathering. Subsequent to that I met up with a few guys here (just a spontaneous informal gathering of 3-4 of us) but its been at least 7 or so years.

Still remember the time in the Alexandria/Zetlands area where it got alittle hectic due to abit of an unexpected drizzle! I don't remember peoples aliases anymore but if anyone happens to know what I'm talking about im happy to reconnect.
I do want to go back someday - especially the brick drain with messages dating back to the 40s - and it was a drain that I never finished.

Whos still here from 2012?
By
Yes they are. They're a pretty cool mob.
Being winter & with Covid-19 you may have to be patient but you could go to caveclan.org & click on the Contact link.
This website is going to be discontinued at some stage this year so it may not be up for too long.

Cheers
Last edited by ironfistdoug on 25 Jun 2020, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
By
1 Reply with quote Permalink
ironmonkey, have we met?

Sydney Cave Clan is still active. During Covid all group gatherings were postponed but this will hopefully start to ease over the next few weeks. No newbies expos have been planned yet but maybe in the near future.

Being winter & with Covid-19 you may have to be patient but you could go to caveclan.org & click on the Contact link.
This website is going to be discontinued at some stage things year so it may not be up for too long.

Sydney doesn't rain as much as Melbourne in winter so drains are still possible over winter.

The caveclan.org website will be taken down? How come?
By
dodger wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 11:10 am

Sydney doesn't rain as much as Melbourne in winter so drains are still possible over winter.

The winter thing was set up by Scarecrow, Ath & other people that ran newbies. The general consensus was that drains aren't as much fun when they're slippery & you're not escaping heat :)

I think it's a financial decision. It's not really fair on Gill to have to keep paying for it and it's quite hard to get donations these days.
By
ironfistdoug wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 11:06 am
dodger wrote:

The winter thing was set up by Scarecrow, Ath & other people that ran newbies. The general consensus was that drains aren't as much fun when they're slippery & you're not escaping heat :)

I think it's a financial decision. It's not really fair on Gill to have to keep paying for it and it's quite hard to get donations these days.
Web hosting couldn't cost much more than $100 these days for a whole year. Who do you guys host with? Maybe consider a cheaper host.
Your first tip is asking for locations wont get any replies. Urban exploration. Not urban tourism. - Echo
By
JustAKiwiInOz wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 6:23 pm
ironfistdoug wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 11:06 am
dodger wrote:

Web hosting couldn't cost much more than $100 these days for a whole year. Who do you guys host with? Maybe consider a cheaper host.
I'm not sure. I don't have anything to do with that side of it, but it's also a forums that is pretty much dead. There was a photo gallery too but that crashed so maybe they're paying too much as the gallery was quite large.

$20 a month seems to ring a bell.
By
ironfistdoug wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 1:03 am
This website is going to be discontinued at some stage this year so it may not be up for too long.

Cheers
do you know how active clan members or sectors are in different parts of the country outside of Sydney?
By
Duck_In_A_Drain wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 1:24 am
ironfistdoug wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 1:03 am

Cheers
do you know how active clan members or sectors are in different parts of the country outside of Sydney?
The Clan now has more smaller groups than it used to... it should probably be called The Cave Clans :)

Joining the Clan used to be; email/contact > induction > probation > membership. These intakes were done regularly. Something like this still happens but not as often. Sydney & Melbourne still occassionally run newbies. I *think* Brisbane pretty much invites people to jojn. Adelaide, Canberra, Perth & Hobart might have some members that aren't really into running newbies.

This is just my opinion. I'm sure you'd get different answers from everyone you asked :)
By
Thanks for the replies guys.

Well Ive sent an email a week ago to the syd cave clan email, still waiting for a reply.

Dodger, I dont know if we have met. Going through my old emails the aliases 'scarecrow', 'fenix' and 'ginger' comes up. Do you know any of them?
By
ironmonkey wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 11:12 pm
'scarecrow', 'fenix' and 'ginger' comes up. Do you know any of them?
Scarecrow does his own thing with his friends. Ginger has lived in Melbourne for a few years now and Fenix is sadly no longer with us.
By
Fenix is sadly no longer with us.

I can recall who Scarecrow is but not sure about Fenix. Was Fenix the guy with a mullet and looks abit like Denis Leary? That guy was interesting and was in the Alexandria trip - would have really liked to catch up.

I hope hes not but if so thats really sad, alot happens in 10 years but it just flies by. What happened?
By
ironmonkey wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 12:45 pm
Fenix is sadly no longer with us.

I can recall who Scarecrow is but not sure about Fenix. Was Fenix the guy with a mullet and looks abit like Denis Leary? That guy was interesting and was in the Alexandria trip - would have really liked to catch up.

I hope hes not but if so thats really sad, alot happens in 10 years but it just flies by. What happened?
If you're on Insta then there's photos of him on @caveclanbdp

If you're not I can post a video but I think the Denis Leary/mullet thing might be him.
By
Bris still runs newbs, not as often as should be haha but hey it's a s*** time atm,, will pick back up I'm sure 😉,, about 12 people on the waiting list for an expo,, should probably organise something eh
By
@dangered how would I get put on that list? Not a newb but want to get in touch with the community.
 Post a reply
Go