Login RegisterFAQ
Something's gotta give
By
0 Reply with quote Permalink
Due to my job situation I've been hopeless in posting stuff.

Seems pretty hard to find a job in IT now. I've had to take action and do some self-training paying for ACM membership and spending all my time going thru the courseware library to prepare for any technical interviews while waiting for any job opps. So much so I have had no time checking on some cbd blocks about to be demolished.

Anyway I thought I'd share this in case someone who also works in IT here is also finding it difficult.
Just a harmless explorer. No need to waste taxes checking me ;)
By
What field specifically in IT?
IG: zero.given
By
Certainly in IT support it's difficult to find a job because a lot of those jobs are being off-shored. The huge savings (at least on paper) are just too attractive for companies to pass up unfortunately.
By
Four months out of job.

Will just say I do sysadmin stuff and know a bit about search engines such as solr/elasticsearch (and I dare say that search knowledge helps in finding urbex spots). Without saying much I did do some Devops opensource platform when it was starting out back in 2011 using Hudson, Puppet, Mysql, Apache etc... but it was using Solaris (as opposed to Linux).

But then I gave up on devops a few years back because not many people were using it that time and I just wasn't sure which direction the whole devops/automation thing was taking and moved back to the manual sysadmin side.

And now Hudson has morphed into Jenkins. And apparently you can just hire a developer (instead of a sysadmin) to automagically create a whole production application environment using Puppet/CHEF/Cloudformation. So much catching up now.

Sorry if I have bamboozled everyone. I know this is an urbex site and not a IT jobseekers site :)

But I never knew what I did a few years ago is so hot now. Wish someone had told me knowing that the company I worked for wasn't going to tell me anything.
By
dodger wrote:
24 Jun 2017, 7:44 pm
Certainly in IT support it's difficult to find a job because a lot of those jobs are being off-shored. The huge savings (at least on paper) are just too attractive for companies to pass up unfortunately.

That's partly true. Google "Tech Mahindra". They are Indian BPO doing redundancies. And I know some indians in my old company being told to tleave.

Anyway it is a race to the bottom for the IBMs, HPs, DXCs, SAP and "Big Red" that were once built on innovative closed-source software solutions who now have CEOs that only operate with spreadsheets that think they can do whatever they want with the customer including offer cheap support and license audits to scrape more revenue.

On the opposite end you have AWS, SFDC, Google that are run by visionaries and understand the market. But the barriers to entry in landing a job at these companies are high from what I know. Putting yourself on Linkedin helps to an extent.

Of course there is also opensource that was also pushed hard by Sun. Internally I heard they did some really great stuff with opensource, cloud and automation before being taken over in 2009. Long live Sun and Solaris!

Some businesses out there still want to keep their own closed-source ERP systems but can't when companies such as IBM and "Big Red" decide to squeeze more money out of them by increasing fees for training, licensing and support. While moving support to low cost centres who don't know the culture and language. I mean if I was japanese and suddenly speaking to an indian call centre (after years speaking to a japanese engineer) who doesn't understand my problem because I don't speak english very well and they can't speak japanese I'd be frustrated. So all this results in one unhappy customer. I think if they did the opposite the drive to cloud and opensource wouldn't have been so quick.

So now we are seeing the implications. Customers doing business with people that understand technology instead of being treated as a number. Customers migrating to opensource meaning those such as myself who know closed-source software have to learn opensource or leave. More importantly, businesses and software providers automating operations as much as possible resulting in reduced headcount. It's a totally different ball game now.

On my last day I saw one of the grads(??) doing telesales trying to do a enterprise software license deal but the customer kept knocking him back. I was tempted to tap him on the shoulder and give him a hint to work elsewhere.

Sorry for the rant. Just that I've been working in enterprise systems for too long and couldn't resist. I'm sure there's others here who are just shaking their head at me :)

I should probably go and do something else but I can't get myself to waste that computer science honours degree from one of the big unis yet.
By
Hard to argue with that although the younger types might disagree.

Ibm is shutting a site down too.
Sorry for the drop although it will be pretty secure so doubt anyone here would try.
theedge wrote: Of course there is also opensource that was also pushed hard by Sun. Internally I heard they did some really great stuff with opensource, cloud and automation before being taken over in 2009. Long live Sun and Solaris!
Forgot to add SPARC as well. Which was a pretty good processor in its day.
 Post a reply
Go